Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Current software version ??

Views : 3382

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2017, 15:47   #1
jwilson

Default Current software version ??

I have recently bought my third V70, this one a 2012 D5. The Volvo main dealer from whom I purchased the car insists the system and map software are up to date, but will not tell me what the current correct software version is. They claim they don't know !!!

There are some weird glitches with radio and nav functions, that they say are "normal", also the map seems rather more out of date than I'd expect.....

Does anyone have a 2012 or later V70 D5 with other than 09F5 system and V30.13.02 map software ??
jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 16:18   #2
apersson850
Premier Member

My 2012 XC70 runs with software version 1100 and map version 30.16.04. But I expect there will soon be a map version 30.17.04, since the last version was published 2016-05-30.

Software version 1100 is to purchase, though, as it adds the functionality that you can download new maps from the internet and install yourself. The map updates are then for free, but the software to enable installing them has a price tag.

With your software version, you can only update by buying a DVD pack and an associated code. It's cheaper to buy the 1100 software version and then update for free, even if you only do it once.

Map version numbers are read as 30=navigation system, 16 year of publishment and 04 coverage variant of this map.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 16:19   #3
jwilson

Thanks very much for the information: I will contact the dealer again: the car was a "Volvo Approved Used" one only bought from them last month, and I was assured that it was fully serviced and the software was up to date - I even specifically asked this. I find the dealers parts and sales people efficient, but with two previous Volvo V70s have learnt to deeply distrust their service department.
Old May 29th, 2017, 16:30   #4
apersson850
Premier Member

Then you should be aware that when Volvo says that their software is updated at the regular service appointment, that's a truth with some modification. For each car, Volvo's computer system selectes a set of updates to load during service. This set is designed to be loaded within the time it takes to replace the engine oil, more or less. The RTI software is normally never updated during this work, since it's too big to easily download during a normal service.

Thus the 09F5 version could very well be what they see as most recent. The 1100 version is never ever downloaded during service, as you have to pay for it. That's because it's not just an update, but an add-on of capability in your car's navigation system.

As far as the maps go, they are also never ever updated by Volvo. That's up to the car owner to do, if he wants to.

So to be fair one could claim that your car is as updated as it would ever be, if all maintenance was done by Volvo. But then they should inform you about that this does not extend to the maps, and in this particular case not even to the latest functionality of the RTI system. From 2014 (I think, or maybe 2015), the ability to install maps from the internet yourself was a standard feature.
Old May 29th, 2017, 18:21   #5
jwilson

Thanks for the further info. When I queried the maps appearing outdated (road built 5 years ago not showing) the sales person told me I could download and install the latest maps myself. I have downloaded them, however the Volvo website says these will only install on the car if the car has the latest system software, which it appears it doesn't have.
Old May 29th, 2017, 20:46   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Shop around Volvo dealers for the best price for the sat nav system upgrade that allows the loading of downloaded maps. I was quoted £55 and felt that it was a bargain to be able to down load the latest maps myself free of charge. As it turned out the sat nav unit would not accept the upgrade and was condemned by the dealer as unserviceable under the Selekt warranty and in consequence I got a new sat nav complete with the latest software and maps, free of charge because no sat nav can work without software and a new unit has to have the software installed to work!
Old May 29th, 2017, 21:00   #7
jwilson

Thanks for the info again.

As a side-issue, I have heard that the map upload to the car from a USB stick can take two hours. Does this mean I have to sit in the car for that long - I can't do it with car in driveway or garage as I have neither - I can only park on town street, sometimes quite a long way from my house. Can it be done while driving - that I do for hours at a time?

Also the one time I did sit in the car for about ten minutes without engine running I got a low battery warning......
Old May 29th, 2017, 21:07   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

No, you just leave the thumb drive in the USB slot and the sat nav takes the upgrade whenever the ignition is on until it is complete. I don't think you can use the sat nav while this is happening.
Old May 29th, 2017, 21:15   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

The update procedure is the same from DVD as from the USB stick. Both will start when you turn on the car, and will halt while it's off. You can't use the navigation for part of the update. That's also the same for both methods.

To do it from USB you specifically need RTI software 1100 or later.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:21   #10
jwilson

Thanks for all: I'll go back to the dealers - as I very specifically asked if satnav maps were up to date before buying the car a month ago I hope the update is free. One more black mark against them if it's not.

On a previous occasion I ought to have reported them to Trading Standards - booked a car in for a minor fix three days after buying it - again a "Volvo Approved Used" one. Service Dept gave me a paper report and told me "...while it was here we gave it a XXX point check - it needs new front roll bars and bushes". Told them to do it and send the bill to the Sales Dept as I'd bought it three days earlier and it had done 50 miles since. Suddenly the job did not need doing after all......

It did get that job done, but over 60,000 miles later, and by the independent garage that I normally use.