Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking for a 240 in Scotland..

Views : 768

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:08   #1
pauldoubleyou
Hiding With Pride

Default Looking for a 240 in Scotland..

Im struggling to find a 240 to buy in Scotland, ideally looking for an estate but would go a saloon. Petrol / diesel not fussed but would prefer a manual box. Must have at least some test. Anything about?

Last edited by pauldoubleyou; May 20th, 2016 at 10:15.
pauldoubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:41   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I appreciate the issue of distance. I wonder when you look back from the future, what will matter most, the car you really want or the distance to find it?

What will serve you best. You prefer a manual estate. 2.0, 2.1 or 2.3? Carb, K jet or jetronic? Moderate trim or high level trim?

I travelled a modest distance for my fairly basic car ... SE estate ... but it felt right for me especially practically and it is still serving me well despite some usual necessary work at times. I see other 240s I rather like the idea of but I have a car that I am keeping.

If you travel, buy a return ticket. Do not be tempted to buy the wrong car if on examination it is not what it had appeared
to be.

And be careful about price. Some re-sales have cost some people dearly. If you buy carefully, the 240 is in general I believe going up in value. Especially if you buy one to keep not to possibly have to change it.

Above all, get a sound body.

I hope that helps.

If I ever have to buy again, perhaps a GL Saloon ...

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; May 20th, 2016 at 11:57.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 15:10   #3
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

You couldn't get a diesel 240 in the UK so it'll be petrol. Your options are whether you want a 2.0 or a 2.3 and carb, kjet or LH injection.

Scotland is a big place but also rather barren and full of hairy cows so you may need to broaden your search down in England and be prepared to travel.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 15:37   #4
heckflosse
Premier Member

Luckily 240s are still relatively common (compared to other big 70s and 80s quality cars), so something decent should turn up on the bay of E if not here.
Happy hunting and be prepared to travel.
They are worth the effort.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 18:08   #5
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default Everything....

....has a price even GLT saloons that aren't for sale.....what are you looking to spend? £200-300 used to be the entry level 240 needing £700 spending on it.....
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 17:47   #6
kev240
Master Member

To be honest you will probably have to bite the bullet and travel 'down South' to find a good 240, in the past I have travelled down as far as Worcester for a 240, with my most recent 240 coming from Warrington . There appears to be a lack of 240's for sale up in this part of the world, and with less road salt being used over the border cars normally suffer less corrosion than up here on the west coast !
Don't be afraid to travel, ask all the relevant questions over the phone, and you will find the majority of sellers will give you fair and honest answers, you can normally suss out the 'chancers' if they have problems answering your questions.
I have had 33 Volvo's with the majority being bought 'down South' and I have always been lucky, so far , so looks like you will need cast your net further !
Cheers,
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 18:19   #7
iain cooper

I would recommend you look down south for a relatively rust free example.

I would never buy an older car that has been subjected to Scottish winters and road salt.

the south of England is best and you will find the right car if you spend the time and do some research first, then a bit of travel.

Iain
Old May 21st, 2016, 23:52   #8
pauldoubleyou
Hiding With Pride

Money wise I was looking at about a grand for a useable one. Maybe with some nice mods, wheels etc. Not that fussed about originality as I would be looking a turbo to it eventually.

Time is the critical factor for me, I struggle.tonget down south and back truthfully with work (I'm in the submarine service).
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:41   #9
240T
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldoubleyou View Post
Money wise I was looking at about a grand for a useable one. Maybe with some nice mods, wheels etc. Not that fussed about originality as I would be looking a turbo to it eventually.

Time is the critical factor for me, I struggle.tonget down south and back truthfully with work (I'm in the submarine service).
You'll be pushed to find a usable one with mods/wheels on it. Prepare to pay 1k-1.5k for a bog standard GL/DL poverty spec.
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:12   #10
gary austin

Default 240 glt

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C727904 contact him and make him a cheeky offer it needs a drivers seat and the odd bit of trim ,he has a fb page called retro ****e where he sells his cars now and then at ten pound a ticket lol but this glt is your closest one
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote