Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frustrating 240

Views : 1267

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 22:59   #1
Gamps

Location: Ogden, Utah USA (may explain my difficulty with English)
Cool Frustrating 240

I have a 1986 240 DL I have just replaced the engine, both fuel pumps and filters. I have the car so it starts and runs like it did in 1989 with one exception: When I accelerate from a standstill at about 15 mph it will hesitate. That is the engine simply quits for approximately 1/2 second, then goes on. It does not do this every time, nor can I "cause" this behavior. It happens irregularly, and does it if I accelerate slowly, or if I "floor it". It will rarely do it at higher speeds and most of the time it does not hesitate at all. This is the third engine we have had in this car and it behaved this way with all three engines. Does anyone have an idea what can cause this behavior? Has anyone even experienced it? And most especially, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?
Gamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 00:17   #2
Magnumpi
Master Member

Just at a guess If this is the third replacement engine and the faults are the same with each swap, maybe its something more electrical at fault. Dodgy coil, leads, plugs, distributor/gubbins does it have an ecu at that age? Or is it just a traight of that particular engine code? Clutching at straws but hopefully some ideas for you.

Wanted 240 parts: Front black hockey sticks
Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnumpi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 00:37   #3
Gamps

Thanks, I'm grasping at straws too so anything helps. It does have an ecu but I don't know much about them (I'm old, when I used to work on my cars, all you needed was a pair of pliers, a couple of screw drivers and a pair of vice-grips. Actual wrenches were a luxury) Can the ecu be tested and can repairs made, or do I just need to replace it and see what happens? I will try and make sure all the connections to and from it are secure. It does have new plugs, points, plug wires, a new distributer head. I am not sure how old the coil is and I don't know what a gubbins is.
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 21:36   #4
Magnumpi
Master Member

I'm clearly no expert, but i believe some fault codes can be checked via a tester under the cover, depending on the car age. If knew more i'd point you in the right direction.
Re Gubbins = Associated parts, like rotor arm cap etc.

Maybe change the title to "Hesitating 240" or something, may bring a more knowledgeable answer.

Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 22:36   #5
Volvodrivingbiker

Hello Gamps
try this Wooble put it one of my threads found it really usefull
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169603
see if that helps good luck
Volvodrivingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvodrivingbiker For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 11:46   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

When I used to work on cars all I used was the nib of someone else's pen, so as not to damage my own pen ...

Ah the dreaded ECU. I think there's more than one of them. The "right" garage can test and obtain an exchange replacement. I had that done for me immediately after I bought that infamous 740 I once owned. They definitely changed two separate electronic "boxes". Various issue like this, and the fuel pumps, and et cetera, are what part of what tempts me to a rear wheel drive BMC Farina ...

Back to your car. I endorse the obvious point. The cause is not the engine itself because you have changed that. And you have changed some associated parts.

How about getting a Crypton or Sun diagnostic test tune? One has to beware of the garage over selling on the basis of faults that are not actually a problem. But you might find what is wrong and then fix it yourself?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 16:54   #7
Gamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumpi View Post
Maybe change the title to "Hesitating 240" or something, may bring a more knowledgeable answer.
I will go look for that tester. You are right about the title, but I don't know how to change it. Can it be changed? Thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 17:19   #8
Magnumpi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodrivingbiker View Post
Hello Gamps
try this Wooble put it one of my threads found it really usefull
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169603
see if that helps good luck
Thanks Volvobiker thats the thread i meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamps View Post
I will go look for that tester. You are right about the title, but I don't know how to change it. Can it be changed? Thanks
Gamps , re the link above to ecu's like i said its vehicle age dependant and i don't think your will have one, so that can be ruled out.

It might be possible to edit the title from your original post, but i'm not sure! Sorry trying to be helpful but not really achieving that.

Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnumpi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 20:45   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

hold on a sec, before we go any further it'd be really useful to know what engine you have and what we're dealing with. You'll only find an ECU in the UK market on the late cars with LH2.4 injection, or an ECU of sorts on the B230K carb engine (although the Renix ECU in this case controls only spark timing).

if we're talking a UK car, it could be the B230K with Solex-Cisac downdraught carb with Renix spark computer, B230E with Bosch K-jetronic mechanical injection (no ECU), or a B230A with a stromberg/pierburg constant-depression sidedraught carb.

I'll hazard a guess, as it's an 80s car, and has electric fuel pumps, that we're dealing with a B200E or B230E. I'll ask the immortal question - is the intake manifold handy for resting a mug of tea on while you stare at the engine and scratch your head?

EDIT: Ogden, Utah - that'll teach me to actually read and comprehend before posting, haha. you probably have Bosch LH2.2 jetronic fuel injection, which was not offered on UK market models so I'm not fully clued up on it - it shares similarities with the later LH2.4, but also some differences. the LH2.2 volvo manual may be found here.

Last edited by wooble; Aug 4th, 2013 at 23:23.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 22:57   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Are you on Brickboard? We don't want to lose you but sometimes local knowledge of local specifications is a good place to start.

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?model=200
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:

Tags
hesitate