Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clockwork wife

Views : 230

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 09:54   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default Clockwork wife

I'm sat at the lights, and not quick enough to move off for the driver behind. I'm literally just getting going but he's already committed to his action and a short horn blast sounds from behind. I could get upset about this, but there's really no reason to. A polite reminder is sometimes required. We can all get distracted, and I've been known to prompt others myself too.

But the brand new car I use for towing has a built-in feature! I don't know why I've never noticed it before, perhaps it's owner has reconfigured something, I dunno. But now it beeps at me every time the "lead vehicle has moved forwards", whether i'm ready or not.

So what used to be an occasional timely reminder, is now a persistent nag. I can't help thinking; If I wanted nagging, I'd buy a clockwork wife.

I'm surely not the only one frustrated with these "features", no?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 10:43   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

You are not, 'canis'. But ... would you want to regress to driving the likes of a Ford Model 'T' or Austin '7' instead?

As with most things in life, there has to be a happy medium - a compromise, if you like.

For me, that would be something built just prior to the 'electronic age', but late enough to be both corrosion resistant and mechanically reliable. i would also prefer it to have a decent heater and a few driver aids like wipers and indicators for example, and maybe a radio for traffic info and so on.

Something from the '80s would tick most of those boxes; I have often thought of the late 2 series or 7 series cars as the 'sweet spot' in Volvo's development. Even a Ph. 1 V70 has a little too much electrickery for my liking - Dinosaur that I am!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 10:56   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

have a look in the menus there may be an option to turn it off.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 12:04   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

Wife's car has one of those there things that keep telling me what gear you should be in. I know how to drive thanks, I'll decide what gear I'm gonna use, not you.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 13:41   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
You are not, 'canis'. But ... would you want to regress to driving the likes of a Ford Model 'T' or Austin '7' instead?

As with most things in life, there has to be a happy medium - a compromise, if you like.

For me, that would be something built just prior to the 'electronic age', but late enough to be both corrosion resistant and mechanically reliable. i would also prefer it to have a decent heater and a few driver aids like wipers and indicators for example, and maybe a radio for traffic info and so on.

Something from the '80s would tick most of those boxes; I have often thought of the late 2 series or 7 series cars as the 'sweet spot' in Volvo's development. Even a Ph. 1 V70 has a little too much electrickery for my liking - Dinosaur that I am!

Regards, John.
I really hate the car interfering with driving. I do not like this touch screen rubbish in modern cars

I do like my Austin 12 to drive around in local but for distance its not the car of choice. Looking at the Volvo range the sweet spot is Amazon to 940 for cars that do everything you will ever need. They do not stop working just because you changed the radio. they do tick all the boxes. By the V70 the electronics are already getting to complicated and you are loosing load space and maneuverability.

I can not think of 1 good feature in a modern car
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 14:45   #6
baggy798
🤍💙💗

You should always be ready to go when the lights change. Nothing worse than someone sleeping at the lights, everyone else ready to go but the lead car wasting everyone's life away. MOVE IT! 🤬

Sounds like the car has a collision warning system. When the lead vehicle moves forward, it triggers to warn you of a potential collision. It doesn't just work for closing distances. If you roll backwards it will also alert you.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 16:02   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I really hate the car interfering with driving. I do not like this touch screen rubbish in modern cars

I do like my Austin 12 to drive around in local but for distance its not the car of choice. Looking at the Volvo range the sweet spot is Amazon to 940 for cars that do everything you will ever need. They do not stop working just because you changed the radio. they do tick all the boxes. By the V70 the electronics are already getting to complicated and you are loosing load space and maneuverability.

I can not think of 1 good feature in a modern car
Modern airbags are pretty good
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 16:09   #8
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Regards, John.

Agreed John but I’d prefer you to tell Mrs.Moomoo that heated passenger seats are unnecessary!🧐🙏
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 18:13   #9
migrator
Aye - him again

It is all very well moaning about the one at the front not shooting away just when the lights turn to green. Green does not mean shoot away as fast as you can, it means move away only if it is safe to do so.

The person at the front of the queue has a much better view of a junction than others further away from the junction. They may be able to see a safety issue that those further back have not seen (cannot see). Remember - only move off it it is safe to do so.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 19:17   #10
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:

Regards, John.
I agree entirely. This isn't some nostalgic "theyt don't make cars like they used to" moan. I was raised being ferried around in Morris Minors. You don't get over that easily.

I absolutely love fuel injection and electronic ignition. I love overhead hydraulic lifters. No, I don't want to return to the days of points and push-rods, although I will admit tuning a traditional engine is a work of art and much pride was derived from the exercise.

No, I don't want a return to the Model T. But I also don't need a machine immitating a child loose in the car tugging at the wheel trying to steer me into parked cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Wife's car has one of those there things that keep telling me what gear you should be in. I know how to drive thanks, I'll decide what gear I'm gonna use, not you.
Oh, it does that too. It keeps telling me to shift into sixth. It cannot pull this trailer in sixth, even on level ground. I mean, you can get away with it for a while, but it's mostly just freewheeling and inevitably it will have to go back down to fifth eventually.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote