Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

noisy engine

Views : 1274

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 21:06   #1
fuzzypicture

Default noisy engine

hi all,
noticed today that the xc was noisier than usual. Popped the bonnet and with engine running, when you remove the oil filler cap, there is a kind of popping noise, is this normal? Also guessing that it has a possitive crankcase pressure, as I was getting smoke out of the dipstick (dipstick removed) again is this normal?

thanks in advance

Joe
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:20   #2
altajeli

Can anyone shed any light on this problem as I am experiencing the same on my 2002 d5 v70, I was told that it may be the breather system so I changed the top black valve next to the oil filter that the breather pipes clip onto. Also inside the metal breather casing next to the oil filter housing is a black box with a valve in the bottom which was also replaced, both of which have made no difference at all!!
There is no loss of power/performance etc, although I have noticed that only at idle the engine appears to have more vibration in the cabin than it did before, the idle speed has not changed?!
altajeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 14:09   #3
altajeli

After some poking around I found that my rear engine mount was perished and was leaking vacume, I am not to sure how this was affecting the strange noise from the filler cap but it has cured it! the vibration has also stopped and there is now very little smoke coming from the filler cap too. I have since replaced the top engine mount which appeared to by very worn.
The Following User Says Thank You to altajeli For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 20:59   #4
fuzzypicture

Unhappy

Thanks for the post, one of the many things* I have been waiting for a weekend free to look into. At least now I have got a definite target!

*not on the XC90 - the S60 needs wishbones, shocks springs ball joints brake lines etc. All advisories at MOT in May, just realised only 6 months until the next one!https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/icons/icon7.gificon9.gif
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 22:15   #5
altajeli

Just a quick tip if you end up changing the rear engine mount - It is quite simple really its just the confined space you have to work with. upon reading my haynes manual it tells you to remove the top engine mount/top engine metal bar which is only x3 bolts! I decided not to remove it as couldnt see the point!! well, the haynes manual was right as when you jack up the engine via the auto box the engine will not raise enough distance with the top engine mount in place!! I was wrong!! (but would never mention this to the wife!)
good luck with all your other bits too.
The Following User Says Thank You to altajeli For This Useful Post: