Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Will a late 100-series steering wheel fit a 245?

Views : 809

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 00:45   #1
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

Lightbulb Will a late 100-series steering wheel fit a 245?

I've always fancied the steering wheel that was fitted on the dash-face-lift models of the later 100-series (as attached). Basically, I'm wondering whether or not one of these steering wheels would fit my '79 DL?

I was talking with a nice chap a while ago and he compared a 100 and 200 series manual; apparently 1979 was a 'change' year for the attachment/fitment - could anybody add to this? My 245 is registered January '79 and I assume built the previous year, so this 'change' may not be effective...

Also, my 245 is does not have power assisted steering and as far as I'm aware the 100-series did not either, thus ruling out another issue, maybe?

Where is the horn on the 100?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo145SteeringWheel.jpg (58.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo245SteeringWheel.jpg (56.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by DarrenK; Oct 24th, 2007 at 00:46. Reason: Missed a bit!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 20:35   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

80 was the change year and yours is probably the same. The 140s had the same spline as the early 240s. Can't guarantee though!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:02   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If it's of any interest I took the steering wheel off a 1977 aniversary car and put it on my 1993. It's a straight swap, same splines. So what changed in 1980?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 17:02   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

To be honest I cannot remember exactly what the differences were, but on the 1980 on models I remember we did find some differences - maybe it was the length of spline - perhaps I ought to go and check this one out.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 02:00   #5
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

Talking

100-series steering wheel? Ha! Who am I kidding!

I've spent some time doing my homework and using the amazing selection of 200-series brochures available to VOC members from the website I've been having an absolute field day exploring the older material (which is rather enjoyable might I add, so much so I wish I had a time machine!).

It turns out that the steering wheel as attached earlier on the 100-series dash actual came as standard on the 200 DL models from the start of production. In fact, the GL had quite a slick looking steering wheel too – This GL wheel was also the base for a smaller and thicker (I think) GT wheel (although, for the US market).

In 1977 the GL and GLE were given a fresh new wheel. The DL was given a rather basic and boring looking wheel. The wheels were updated with the face lift of the DL in 1979. The last of the fancy wheels before the interior dash face lift was the GT wheel in 1980.

(Some pictures of the wheels attached!)

I'm not sure how the PAS would effect the compatibility of a steering wheel, if it even does?

I guess I haven't really drawn any conclusion to whether I could fit an earlier steering wheel but if I ever trace an early DL or GL wheel I guess I'll be putting my money where my mouth is! I don't have a clue where I'm going to find one, though.

Perhaps a pointless post to some but some interesting information about the earlier steering wheels for anybody fussy enough to want a less-frail looking wheel on their pride and joy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1975_DL.jpg (64.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1975_GL.jpg (44.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1975_GT.jpg (61.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1977_GL.jpg (41.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1978_DL.jpg (59.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1978_GLE.jpg (51.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheel_1980_GT.jpg (45.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by DarrenK; Nov 1st, 2007 at 02:02.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 14:03   #6
Snowman
never knowingly slow

If you would like to find out, I've still got the original from my car which came out when I fitted a Moto Lita item, it's a '73 DL with the big central pad as in your picture.

Prefer the replacement though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo dash.jpg (77.9 KB, 14 views)
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote