Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locking nut key sheared

Views : 2206

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 02:09   #1
Richard V70

Default Locking nut key sheared

Went to get a new (part worn) tyre today but the locking wheel nut key would not remove the lock nut and now looks very damaged, any one tried this to remove the lock nut or any tips ?....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A ..... also im thinking of junking the lock bolts all together, anyone else done this to avoid this problem again?,this is the first time i have tried to change the tyres on it, quiktit and 2 indys couldnt budge it and the tyre sidewall looks like it has mumps after being driven while flat and then inflated to over 50 psi it now has 2 massive bulges, any help/tips will be very much appreciated, please no main dealer suggestions as i cant afford it this month (or any month tbh at the moment)
thanks in advance
Richard.
V70 T5 X REG
225/45/17 TYRES.

Last edited by Richard V70; Mar 27th, 2011 at 02:12.
Richard V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 03:27   #2
lillia
VOC Member

I haven't viewed the clip but I have read that many drivers have managed to remove damaged wheel locking nuts by welding a bolt, metal bar/pipe or some such thing to the nut and then using that to turn the nut until it is removed. Perhaps you could try that (did the garages you visited try that)? The risk is minor (very minor) heat damage to the alloys. A local garage would probably charge less than £20 to remove it.

Quite a few people in my circle have removed the locking wheel nuts from their cars because they found them to be bothersome (precisely because of your current problem). Unless you have supremely expensive wheels or live in an area where people are still stealing such things, it should not make much of a difference. In any event, a determined thief will get your wheels if he really wants them! The only concern I can see would be if there are insurance issues, so you may want to check that before switching.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:50   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard V70 View Post
Went to get a new (part worn) tyre today but the locking wheel nut key would not remove the lock nut and now looks very damaged, any one tried this to remove the lock nut or any tips ?....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A ..... also im thinking of junking the lock bolts all together, anyone else done this to avoid this problem again?,this is the first time i have tried to change the tyres on it, quiktit and 2 indys couldnt budge it and the tyre sidewall looks like it has mumps after being driven while flat and then inflated to over 50 psi it now has 2 massive bulges, any help/tips will be very much appreciated, please no main dealer suggestions as i cant afford it this month (or any month tbh at the moment)
thanks in advance
Richard.
V70 T5 X REG
225/45/17 TYRES.

Hi, have a read of this . One of many.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...999#post870999

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:35   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Use a multi point socket, 19mm I think it is fits best, maybe 18mm, hammer it on, used a 4" extention, and a ratchet, stand on the handle (as to slacken) of the ratchet and don't support the head, so it falls at an angle, as the socket starts to fall off, it will get tighter on the lock nut and should remove it.

I've had to do this a few times, and has been successful everytime

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:14   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

I had two McGard keys and thought it wouldnt happen to me but of course they both failed at the same time when I needed to change a punctured tyre miles away from help and left me stranded . Change them for normal wheel nuts its not worth the hassle when they fail , I dont like the McGard design , I think most of them will fail , its just a matter of time . My wheel nuts where correctly torqued up with no grease on the threads . When the failed nut was eventually removed I noticed that compared to the other three the threads appear to have a small amount of corrosion and its not happened through infrequent wheel removals as mine get taken off at least three times a year .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:19   #6
Trem

If the locking nut has the sleeve on it the only way is to get a bolt welded to it and removed that way.

I spent most of the summer once trying to get my locking nut out and in the end took it to a garage and they charged me £20 to get it out.

Trust me, if it has a sleeve you are knackered.
Trem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:24   #7
Master Member

There seems to be a spate of these just now. I'm wondering if it's to do with the harsh winter and loads of salt on the roads

I saw advice to use a torque wrench and do the locking nut up to only 100nm as opposed to 130 advised on my v50. That of course has 5 bolts and I guess it would not be a good idea with only 4

The other thing is to have a spare set of ordinary bolts so that you can remove the locking nut before going to a garage or tyre shop. This will ensure no ridiculous over torque by fitters
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:19   #8
Trem

I did order a new key for mine and because the last key had chipped the edges off the nut pattern it was useless.

I took all mine out and just put some cheap ones in off Ebay.
Trem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:26   #9
chopper_harris

This is an FAQ -- use the search button, or try this one http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115289
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 16:09   #10
Richard V70

Default lock nut

Hi guys
thanks for all the advice,i will give it a go myself if no joy looks like a trip to the garage.
Richard V70 is offline   Reply With Quote