Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Se lux or premium

Views : 1643

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 21:17   #1
shirley28

Default Se lux or premium

Hi
We currently own a XC90 and are trading it in for a new XC60. We wanted to know if we dont have the sat nav option do they leave the space empty so i can fit my own Tom Tom or Garnin because I want a system with speed camera detection. Thanks
shirley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 21:24   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley28 View Post
Hi
We currently own a XC90 and are trading it in for a new XC60. We wanted to know if we dont have the sat nav option do they leave the space empty so i can fit my own Tom Tom or Garnin because I want a system with speed camera detection. Thanks
not anymore methinks - if you don't have the Satnav option you get a 5" screen to run the audio etc, if you take the Satnav you get a 7" screen with all the bells and whistles.

Guess you need to stick the TomTom to the screen

BTW - The Volvo system (actually from NavTeq) also has the fixed speed cameras within it
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 21:31   #3
shirley28

Thanks for yout quick reply !! the reason we didnt want the Volvo sat Nav is beacuse the dealer told us it doesnt have speed camera detection..so I am a bit confused !!! I would just buy it if it has this feature,,do you have any more info Thanks
shirley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 21:38   #4
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Smile

Quote:
Hi
Unfortunately the space is now filled with a display, there is a dealer fit satnav option (Garmin) for podless cars but it now mounts onto the drivers A pillar instead of mounting in the dash.
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philpottig For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:31   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Thanks for yout quick reply !! the reason we didnt want the Volvo sat Nav is beacuse the dealer told us it doesnt have speed camera detection..so I am a bit confused !!! I would just buy it if it has this feature,,do you have any more info Thanks
This link takes you to the detail;

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...gationMenu=YES

If you open the product data sheet it shows that there are 4659 speed cameras in the database

It doesnt have DETECTION, but neither does TomTom, what is has is the locations of cameras. If you want Detection then you need to buy another type of device such as (I understand) a Road Angel.

Of course the best way to achieve to avoid the fines and points is just to drive within the speedlimits
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 09:23   #6
scw

The Sensus satnav manual makes no mention of it having a speed camera database, and I've yet to see any on-screen indication of them despite regularly driving past long-established fixed camera locations.

So it's possible the dealer is telling the truth.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:28   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw View Post
The Sensus satnav manual makes no mention of it having a speed camera database, and I've yet to see any on-screen indication of them despite regularly driving past long-established fixed camera locations.

So it's possible the dealer is telling the truth.
They are not called 'Speed Cameras' in Volvo world - if memory is correct you have to switch on 'Facility Warning' or something similar (again in a submenu), that then activates the speed camera warnings when you approach the location.

Not all 'fixed cameras' are classified as fixed - DoT Safety Cameras (e.g. on A3 at Hindhead) are not classed as 'fixed cameras' even though they have 2 ton concrete blocks on the bottom of them It is something about who installs them and gets the revenue ...
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:40   #8
Ransman
Master Member

I have bought a Brodit Proclip to fit on the passenger air vent to mount my Tomtom. Will post some pictures when I get it rigged up.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 13:00   #9
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
They are not called 'Speed Cameras' in Volvo world - if memory is correct you have to switch on 'Facility Warning' or something similar (again in a submenu), that then activates the speed camera warnings when you approach the location.
Nope, definitely does not exist on Sensus. Perhaps Volvo was worried about such a feature being outlawed in one or more of their target markets at some point in the future.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 13:15   #10
Superbenj

I have a solution. Plug in the tom tom into the USB port in the centre box thingy on full volume, it will still beep the speed camera warnings.

Job done!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote