Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another “turtle” and reduced performance today

Views : 464

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 19:14   #1
MrM83

Default Another “turtle” and reduced performance today

So it happened again. Probably 5th time I’ve experienced it in 2 years. In my T8 it means pure and AWD are not available. The rest are but irrespective of what driving mode is selected the car runs on battery only. Even if in a mode where ICE should be running, the rev counter doesn’t move as speed picks up.

The online manual says turtle mode represents a problem with the hybrid battery being too low for performance. This is bull**** as the battery was 90%+ charged. The car is initially limited to ~17mph which frankly makes it quite dangerous(ly slow) to drive. I pulled over, turned it off. Upon turning back on 5 mins later it was status quo except I could do 45mph max.

I had plans to go somewhere today that I had to shelve as a result of this. I’m absolutely convinced it’s a software issue and nothing to do with any engine or motor issue. Each time I have had this error is following driving in AWD mode for a short drive (~3 miles). This time the car felt like it was struggling for traction when turning out of a parking space with a sensation of front and rear wheels slipping. I have a fraction more than zero faith in Volvo being able to diagnose this, not least because it happens so infrequently. But when it does it’s fuc*ing inconvenient.

True to form as in previous times it’s happened, 45 mins after turning the car off all is well again.

Despite having the smaller battery and lesser powered rear motor, I really enjoy driving on electric only. The ICE is a let down in this car in my opinion and the turtle mode makes no sense as described. I wonder what would happen if I had no charge left, since when in turtle mode the ICE never comes on?

Ever more tempted to return back to the LR fold. People say they are unreliable but my experience is the other way around.

Rant over.

Last edited by MrM83; Jan 27th, 2024 at 19:21.
MrM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 10:47   #2
piorunz

What car is it? Consider adding your car model to profile signature, so you don't need to type it but it's always there for forum members to relate to.

I had a reduced performance message once, but car was still quite fast, no speed limit. It fixed itself, typically, by leaving the car for longer.

And recently I also had an error message, don't remember what it was, but it essentially disabled ERAD. And battery was 100% charged, just unplugged from the wall.
Started the car, started packing things, car was stationary, "idling" on EV. Finally closed the door jump in and ICE is running. There was no ERAD for the entire journey I made, no ERAD pushing the car even in Polestar, the performance difference was noticeable. Turning car off and turning back on again did not solve it. Only when I left for 2 hours I found the car working again like it was nothing. In my return journey I emptied the battery driving on ERAD.
That's what overcomplicating things leads to.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 11:17   #3
V60Tyke

Had similar hybrid turtle warnings on my previous V60 T8 and it turned out one of the battery cells was faulty and needed replacing, once I had it repaired (which took 3 months) I sold the car and went back to a non hybrid petrol.
V60Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V60Tyke For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 12:11   #4
MrM83

Sorry my car is an XC90 T8 for reference, 2021.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrM83 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 12:27   #5
MrM83

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60Tyke View Post
Had similar hybrid turtle warnings on my previous V60 T8 and it turned out one of the battery cells was faulty and needed replacing, once I had it repaired (which took 3 months) I sold the car and went back to a non hybrid petrol.
How did this get diagnosed if I may ask, and were you without the car for the 3 month duration? That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 13:00   #6
JollyGeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
Sorry my car is an XC90 T8 for reference, 2021.
Please don't let Volvo fob you off. Shout from the trees (by email sothere's a paper trail) until they do something about this. I had an intermittent fault and they fobbed me off until the warranty had expired. Once the warranty expired they were happy for me to pay to have the fault rectified. A long story, but I managed to get 90% contribution from Volvo, when it should have been sorted under warrnaty.
JollyGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 15:38   #7
MrM83

I’d sooner vote with my feet I’m afraid.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 20:42   #8
V60Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
How did this get diagnosed if I may ask, and were you without the car for the 3 month duration? That would be a deal breaker for me.
It was the Huddersfield Volvo dealership that diagnosed the cause of the issue and as all the battery cells have to be within a very narrow margin of degradation then the new replacement cell had to be continually charged then discharged (many many times) in order for the cell to eventually match the original cells charge capabilities.

The diagnosis took a fortnight to complete, the new cell then took over a month to be delivered then the continual charge/discharge cycles added extra workshop time so all in all my car was gone for 3 months in which time I had a petrol xc40 loan car and Volvo sent me a Fortnum and Masons hamper in an effort to stop me complaining (lol)
V60Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote