Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 Recharge slow charging

Views : 899

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2024, 15:27   #1
essjay2730

Default XC60 T8 Recharge slow charging

Based in the UK we took delivery of our XC60 T8 recharge yesterday and noticed it only charges via our Zappi (phase one) at 3.7kwh. The battery is the new larger one of 18kwh and I recall when buying the car we were told they had increased the charging capacity on phase one to 7kwh. It seems from order to arrival something has changed. My EV charger can charge up to 7kwh but not sure the car can take it. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing something?
essjay2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 15:42   #2
rhd443

If it's single phase, I think that's right for a Volvo hybrid, public chargers are usually three phase and you can take advantage of the extra speeds.

What does the user manual state for your model? I suspect it states 3.6kw for single phase max.

Not sure if this is your model but..: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...h=Phase&page=0

Last edited by rhd443; Mar 30th, 2024 at 15:46.
rhd443 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 15:52   #3
sk546
Master Member

I dont think the T8's are capable of taking more than 3.7kwh when recharging. Looking online at the new cars specs, it says it charges 0-100% from a wallbox in 5 hours. Nominal battery recharge capacity (including thermal loss's and the portion of the battery capacity that is never used) is around 18kwh's. 18/5= 3.6 which would indicate that Volvo never did increase the charging capacity of the T6's or T8's even though it did suggest they would (or did in another market as I seem to recall it mentioning something about DC charge rates going upto 7.4kwh????).

Most other manufacturers are at least charging their PHEV's @7.4kwh's these days, just another cost cutting exercise from Volvo im afraid.

My MY22.5 with the 18.8kwh battery has only ever charged at 3.7kwh's too but I can still get the vast majority of my charging done in the 4.5 hour overnight off-peak charging window with Octopus so it's never annoyed me too much.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 18:41   #4
Murph7355

I believe they note faster charging on triple phase supplies.

I haven't even received our new XC90 T8 and that and the loss of steering wheel controls that can control key functions are already irritating me
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 19:17   #5
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Most other manufacturers are at least charging their PHEV's @7.4kwh's these days, just another cost cutting exercise from Volvo im afraid.

My MY22.5 with the 18.8kwh battery has only ever charged at 3.7kwh's too but I can still get the vast majority of my charging done in the 4.5 hour overnight off-peak charging window with Octopus so it's never annoyed me too much.
Is it cost cutting if they never supported it in the first place?

BTW, in case you didn't know, with a recent update from myenergi the Zappi now supports intelligent octopus with the Volvo so you can now use that tariff for a longer cheaper charging window, it'll even count when you pre-heat.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 00:35   #6
Danny 1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay2730 View Post
Based in the UK we took delivery of our XC60 T8 recharge yesterday and noticed it only charges via our Zappi (phase one) at 3.7kwh. The battery is the new larger one of 18kwh and I recall when buying the car we were told they had increased the charging capacity on phase one to 7kwh. It seems from order to arrival something has changed. My EV charger can charge up to 7kwh but not sure the car can take it. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing something?
Mine is exactly the same using Zappi.
Danny 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 07:08   #7
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Is it cost cutting if they never supported it in the first place?

BTW, in case you didn't know, with a recent update from myenergi the Zappi now supports intelligent octopus with the Volvo so you can now use that tariff for a longer cheaper charging window, it'll even count when you pre-heat.
Volvo made a conscious decision to not increase the cars charging rate to reduce costs (as a 7.4kwh internal charging unit is more expensive than a 3.6kwh unit) and in doing so, not keep up with its competitors in the same segments. The T8's battery size has increased 3 times since its inception, 10.4kwh, 11.6kwh and now 18.8kwh but the charging rate has always remained at the bog standard 3.7kwh.
Call it what you will but to me, thats still cost cutting.

I keep checking but my intelligent Rolec Wallbox still doesn't support intelligent octopus so I'm stuck with the shorter charging window..........

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:09   #8
nfshirley

When you download the information on the T8, it states 19kWh battery with 3 hour charging home with an asterix.

The ssterix states: * Typical time to charge from 0 to 100% with 11kW AC-fast charging (Type 2) 3-phase 16A.

Which is a little ambiguous, but like you, I would have thought it would have charged at the highest it could do, rather than the 3.7kwh.
nfshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:32   #9
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfshirley View Post
When you download the information on the T8, it states 19kWh battery with 3 hour charging home with an asterix.

The ssterix states: * Typical time to charge from 0 to 100% with 11kW AC-fast charging (Type 2) 3-phase 16A.

Which is a little ambiguous, but like you, I would have thought it would have charged at the highest it could do, rather than the 3.7kwh.
Nothing ambiguous there at all, the car is charging at the fastest it can do on Single phase which is 3.7kwh. The key part there is 3-phase for the faster charging so unless you have a 3-phase charger fitted at home, you will only get 3.7kwh. The OP only has Single phase charger.

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 17:57   #10
Simon703

My experience has been my T8 charging at 3.7 KWh with OHME Home charger, when at a hotel recently it charged at 7.4 KWh, I assume they had 3 phase.
Simon703 is online now   Reply With Quote