Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise control

Views : 1359

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 21:49   #1
storming

Default Cruise control

Wondering what the pitfuls of retro-fitting cruise control?
Also does anyone know of a guide for installing it?
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 22:04   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi
this has been covered before if you do a search you will find the info.
mike
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 22:11   #3
SUBURBAN KID

I think its more aggro than its worth mate.
Its not often on our wo(nd)e(r)ful British roads that we've had the chance to use it, for more than a couple of hundred yards that is.

Last edited by SUBURBAN KID; Apr 24th, 2009 at 22:12. Reason: Half watching Wreck Rescue 'ont telly.
SUBURBAN KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 09:46   #4
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBURBAN KID View Post
I think its more aggro than its worth mate.
Its not often on our wo(nd)e(r)ful British roads that we've had the chance to use it, for more than a couple of hundred yards that is.
I use it most days I drive mine. I do mostly motorway miles, though.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:58   #5
tykey

I've got CC, but never use it because I can't afford the extra fuel it uses.

If I could take it off, I would, and put it on eBay!!
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:08   #6
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
I've got CC, but never use it because I can't afford the extra fuel it uses.
Now I get what Clarkson said on that Audi A8 test, and I understand that it's possible to drive more economically than cruise control will manage.

But - in the main, I suspect it's a crock. For most people, driving over a reasonable distance (so motorway) using cruise will likely be more economical - UNLESS you drive like a saint, with an absolute feather foot at all times.

Just because it's possible to drive more ecomomically than cruise control, doesn't make normal driving more economical on the whole - that would be generalising from a specific.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:49   #7
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

i wonder if cc can be fitted to a 1999 v70d cos the throttle is electronic with no cable and there is a plug for it next to the indicator stalk?
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 13:22   #8
tykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuleichan View Post
Now I get what Clarkson said on that Audi A8 test, and I understand that it's possible to drive more economically than cruise control will manage.

But - in the main, I suspect it's a crock. For most people, driving over a reasonable distance (so motorway) using cruise will likely be more economical - UNLESS you drive like a saint, with an absolute feather foot at all times.

Just because it's possible to drive more ecomomically than cruise control, doesn't make normal driving more economical on the whole - that would be generalising from a specific.
You might suspect it's a crock, but in practice it isn't. It isn't difficult to drive a lot more economically without CC, at the expense of about an average 2mph.

The Jeremy Clarkson experience was an extreme example, but most of us don't want to drive at 50mph and get to Edinburgh and back to London on a tank of fuel.
But it's quite a benefit to drive at 68mph to Edinburgh and get back to Leicester rather than Durham on a full tank.

I can easily get an extra 10mpg without driving like a saint, perhaps not a perfect saint anyway.

It's something you have to prove to yourself, if you've a mind to.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 18:07   #9
storming

Default c c

Also does anyone know of a guide for installing it?
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 19:38   #10
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
You might suspect it's a crock, but in practice it isn't. It isn't difficult to drive a lot more economically without CC, at the expense of about an average 2mph.

The Jeremy Clarkson experience was an extreme example, but most of us don't want to drive at 50mph and get to Edinburgh and back to London on a tank of fuel.
But it's quite a benefit to drive at 68mph to Edinburgh and get back to Leicester rather than Durham on a full tank.

I can easily get an extra 10mpg without driving like a saint, perhaps not a perfect saint anyway.

It's something you have to prove to yourself, if you've a mind to.
You can always set cruise 2mph slower...

What happens, though, is that people watch Top Gear, listen to the guff that Clarkson normally spouts, then chant it as gospel, without accepting the limited set of circumstances for which he said his spiel.

I've driven many miles, both with, and without cruise.

Now true enough it can't anticipate some things that drivers can. So for hills and inclines, that may have some marginal cost in terms of economy. And for other aspects, where being under manual throttle control can be better - but then there's no rule that says you can't disengage cruise sooner, and anticipate better.

Some of this comes from trying to stay under cruise when really it's not suited.

The thing you tend to find when not using cruise is that your speed can fluctuate more, and you can find it easier to drive at a faster speed (due to passing traffic) than you'd prefer (say for economy reasons).

Whereas when using cruise you tend to largely stay at the speed you've set - most often highlighted by finding yourself overtaking, then re-overtaking the same muppets about 5 times, because they can't make up their mind what speed they want to drive at - either that, or can't stand being passed by a car they may have overtaken previously.

So there may be some marginal gains by not using it, for hilly areas, or when driving and when better anticpation should be used, but there's the flip-side of behavourism to factor in. That and the fact that many jump on a bandwagon of a throwaway comment, that is only of marginal gains, anyway.