Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front suspension rebuild 1967 1800S

Views : 1069

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 17:40   #1
tdz840
VOC Member

Default front suspension rebuild 1967 1800S

Hi Guys
Currently working on the front suspension. Have removed the lower wishbone and now on the upper one. The haynes manual states a special cranked tool is required to gain access to the nuts on the wishbone shaft. These are the ones that attach the wishbone shaft to the subframe and have the shims behind. I would have thought they are held on with captive nuts as I currently cannot even see the nuts in the subframe!!
Is this the case are they captive?
The ball joints seem fine however if they are a reasonable cost I may consider changing them as it will allow me to beadblast without damage. Are they common to any other cars as there seems to be a number of joints on ebay. Same question regarding the tie rods are these common to other cars.
Finally what is the free length of the front springs - that is when they are removed fromn the car
Thanks in advance
Russ

PS Is there an available list for common components?
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 19:21   #2
mike gilbert
Master Member

No special tool is needed to remove the top wishbone. The bolts screw into threaded holes in the sub-frame.
The joints and rods are shared with the Amazon, not sure about the 140.
Don't know about the length of the springs but its the force required to compress them thats important. You can have springs of the correct length but if they are tired or of an incorrect type they will not give the correct resistance on the car.
All the parts are readily available and individually not too expensive - though I know it sure adds up when you replace them all at once.
Mike
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 23:00   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No special tools needed. Dont foget to get your camber angles etc reset when it all goes back together.
The 140 bottom wishbone set up is the same but the top is different - still no special tools needed.

What is the aim for the car when it is finnished?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:55   #4
tdz840
VOC Member

Default front suspension rebuild - camber angles

Dai
Thanks for the reply
If I replace the same shims when i rebuild the suspension the camber angle should not be affected? Certainely whilst i was using the car there was no unacceptable tyre wear.
I will check it anyway as a matter of course
The aim of the rebuild was to replace the bushes however once I had all the components of I took the opportunity to beadblast, Cad plate and repaint.
Attaced are some pics of the rear suspension.
Best regards
Russ
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rent=rear2.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...rent=rear1.jpg
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 20:23   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You will 100% need to have the steering angles checked even though there is no abnormal tyre wear. What you will notice is once done the car will handle much better and be lighter to steer. I hope you are going to fit poly bushes! as you dont want to have to re do the job in 12 months time do you?
Also make sure the shimes between the crossmember and the chassis goes back in and are checked.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 22:46   #6
tdz840
VOC Member

Default front suspension rebuild

Dai
Just removed the nearside upper wishbone it had no shims fitted. I believe there are some on the offside. I will take your advice and check caster, camber and toe in on completion. I am also fitting poly bushes .
I need ARB bushes (20mm ARB), lower wishbone and upper wishbone.
Can you give me a price including shipping
BR
Russ
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 20:53   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

PM sent

Thanks