Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer / wiper gremlins

Views : 1241

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2019, 13:31   #1
SamP94

Default Washer / wiper gremlins

Driving to work thismorning and i went over a speed bump. Washers and wipers came on and wont go off unless fuse is pulled or ignition is off.

The wipers will still change speed and then stop when the stalk is disconnected but the pump will still run.

Anyone ran into this issue? Have 30 mins a day to get a look on my lunch so would be good to know any common problems

Car is a 1998 940

Last edited by SamP94; Nov 28th, 2019 at 13:43.
SamP94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamP94 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 15:32   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

Sounds like a fault in the switch. Somehow it has connected the washer contacts and they have stayed connected. I’m still trying to remedy a faulty switch in my 1992 940. Once the switch is removed and the plug disconnected it is possible to remove the switch cover with care and expose the innards. The switch outer case is plastic and has small cutouts which locate over projections on the switch inner. It is possible to prise outer cover away from the inner and wriggle it off. It’s not supposed to be possible but it is and care is required as there is a spring and loose bits in there which can fall out.
If you try that, best of luck.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 17:53   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Ian said ^^^^^

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 13:53   #4
SamP94

Thanks for the input. Ended up being a headlight wiper motor with an internal short somewhere, disconnected them and its all happy again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamP94 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 14:32   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP94 View Post
Thanks for the input. Ended up being a headlight wiper motor with an internal short somewhere, disconnected them and its all happy again
I'm glad you appear to have got it fixed but i have to say i'm not convinced.

Look at your headlamps, under where the wipers should have parked, there's a plastic covered metal stub at the bottom of each lens. The idea of these isn't just as a rest for the wiper in the park position but also so you can disable the headlamp wiper, for example when there's heavy snow or freezing conditions so you don't burn the motor out or damage the wiper blade.
You lift the wiper arm away from the headlamp lens, push it down and hook it under this stub. This prevents the wiper moving which trips an internal, thermal self-resetting fuse preventing power reaching the wiper motor.

Being self-resetting, once you release the arm from under the stub, the headlamp wipers will once again work as they should.

The problem you describe can only be a short in the switch unless your wiring is fried somewhere between the switch and the washer pumps.

Keep an eye on it, does the switch feel positive in operation or "woolly"? If it's "woolly" then there's a good chance it is the switch.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 16:36   #6
SamP94

Sounds reasonable. The switch feels just like a 20 year old switch, soft but present stages. Both the wipers and washers stopped as soon as i disconnected the OS headlamp wiper and started again as i plugged it back in. They havent worked since owning the car so ill leave them unplugged and see if the issue comes back.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 18:05   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2576376]

Look at your headlamps, under where the wipers should have parked, there's a plastic covered metal stub at the bottom of each lens. The idea of these isn't just as a rest for the wiper in the park position but also so you can disable the headlamp wiper, for example when there's heavy snow or freezing conditions so you don't burn the motor out or damage the wiper blade.
You lift the wiper arm away from the headlamp lens, push it down and hook it under this stub. This prevents the wiper moving which trips an internal, thermal self-resetting fuse preventing power reaching the wiper motor.

Being self-resetting, once you release the arm from under the stub, the headlamp wipers will once again work as they should.

Dave,
Yet something else that you knew but I didn’t. You’re positively a mine of information. I thought they were simply a “bump stop” for the wiper blade and if the blade was left under them when the washers were activated the motor would try to move them with disastrous results. I knew that when refitting the wiper arms to the shaft the blade should be located under the stops but should then be moved above them once secured on the shaft. Where is that “thermal self resetting fuse” located and is there a way of knowing that it is working?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 18:28   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Where is that “thermal self resetting fuse” located and is there a way of knowing that it is working?
Easiest way is to check the headlamp wipers are working normally, switch them off and move the arm/blade under the stop then try them again. If you get your glamorous assistant to operate the wash/wipe you should see the arms twitch a little when they first try to move then relax a few seconds later - subsequent tries (if made quickly) should cause any movement, if left a while you should see them twitch etc again.

As for the location of the thermal fuse, in/on the motor but i can't remember where exactly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 19:50   #9
bob12
bob12

Should you find a 'glamorous assistant' willing to assist in these weather conditions and, rather than dropping the headlight wiper blade below the 'stop' it's just as easy to get 'G-Asst.' (with detailed tuition) to operate the wash/wipe switch and, for you to just to see if the h/light wipers are working.

Of course, if you open the window and operate the switch yourself and move fast you can get soaked by over-spray from the main windscreen wiper wash and, see the headlight wash/wipe working (or not).

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 19:59   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Should you find a 'glamorous assistant' willing to assist in these weather conditions and, rather than dropping the headlight wiper blade below the 'stop' it's just as easy to get 'G-Asst.' (with detailed tuition) to operate the wash/wipe switch and, for you to just to see if the h/light wipers are working.

Of course, if you open the window and operate the switch yourself and move fast you can get soaked by over-spray from the main windscreen wiper wash and, see the headlight wash/wipe working (or not).

Bob
The idea of an assistant Bob, glamorous or otherwise is to observe the minimal movement of the wiper arms when they're hooked under the stops to check the operation of the thermal fuse.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: