Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Coolant Warning

Views : 860

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 08:59   #1
D6PHEV

Default Engine Coolant Warning

Morning all.

While braking hard going downhill the other day, the engine coolant warning light flashed up on the dash.
I've subsequently checked, and it's at the minimum level.
There are no visible leaks from the pipes, and there's no patches on the ground where the car is always parked.
Thing is, the car was only serviced by my main delaer in December.
Is it safe to assume they didn't check the coolant level and/or top it up as required?
Should I contact them to ask?
And if I were to buy some coolant to top it up, what should I go for?
2014 V60 D6 PHEV btw.

Thanks.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 09:05   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

A third of a year and however many miles have passed since then, so that's not a safe assumption to make.

You can gauarantee they will have checked it. Any chance to sellmyou a top up and make a few shekels will be grabbed with both hands.

It was fine 4 months ago, now it is now. The reasonable conclusion is that the level has dropped over the intervening 4 months.
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 10:31   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I'm still learning about my V60 Phev as well, but if it's like any other car I've had to top up the coolant on, it's never a huge amount.

I've also had company cars I kept for 6 months when I had to top up in the time I had them.

I would just call in at Johnson Perrots and get a 1 litre Volvo top up, rather than start guessing which one from the aftermarket.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 11:56   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Indeed. Top it up, fit a new coolant cap to replace the 8 year old one on there (it's the obvious culprit for a slow vapour leak) and take it from there. Use a genuine cap only.
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 13:57   #5
Toprivetguns

Radiators are prone to leaking in the lower offside corner. I would recommend topping up with Volvo coolant. Very reasonable from your local dealer.
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 22:02   #6
D6PHEV

Thanks a million folks. I’d never seen this warning in my over 2 years of ownership, so figured something must be up seeing as it was so close to servicing. There are only 6,000 miles on her since, so found/find it hard that it’s drop so fast.
But we are where we are. I’ll not go pointing fingers so, and just get some genuine coolant and new cap.

Might chance them for a free too up though! Play dumb. I’m good at that!
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 13:09   #7
D6PHEV

To bookend this folks, called into my local dealer and played dumb.
They agreed to top up the coolant and suggested to keep an eye on it for the next few months. If it goes down, there's a problem. If not, it was overlooked in the last service.
They're a pretty good dealer to be fair.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 21:51   #8
S60RDesign

This happened to mine last year but I bought some genuine coolant from a dealer on eBay, topped up and all fine since but it has had another service since then. Best to keep an eye on levels but probably nothing to worry about
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote