Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Tow bar electrics

Views : 837

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 13:01   #1
eddie69
Eddie69

Default 850 T5 Tow bar electrics

I am about to have a tow bar fitted to my 850 T5 saloon, does anyone know if there are any problems with fitting the electics, i have noticed people mention the ecu and allsorts, this is for a caravan any info would be appreciated

Regards Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:07   #2
gary1638

Default RE: 850 T5 Tow bar electrics

Eddie,

I fitted my own towbar and twin electrics to my 95 T5 saloon, and found it very straightforward. The wiring kit came with all the relays you will need, and all the necessary connectors. Just ensure the feed for the trailer lights is taken ahead of the large relay in the boot that controls the bulb failure system, or use the appropriate relay. The electric ariel has a permanent live feed through a heavy duty cable which is used for the live feed for the caravan.

Have you, or are you, going to do anything with the rear suspension?

Hope this helps

Gary
gary1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 20:51   #3
eddie69
Eddie69

gary,
cheers for the reply, been away for a few days so sorry about my delay, a garage owner mate of mine is going to fit the bar with me, i have done electrics on tow bars before but not the caravan electrics, anything you can help with would be grateful, with regards to the suspension i hadnt planned on doing anything but advice is always helpful,

Regards Eddie
850 T5
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 21:20   #4
gary1638

Eddie,

The caravan electrics are straightforward. There is a relay you can get that senses when the car battery is being charged. You use this with a permanent live feed from the electric ariel, and it will supply power for the van fridge and charge the van battery, but only when the engine is running. This means these two items will not drain the car battery. My relay also had a third connection which is permanently live and can be used in the van instead of its own battery, should you so desire. If you get the haynes caravan manual, the job is foolproof.

I asked about the rear suspension as I want to uprate mine a bit for towing. I will probably fit the rubber coil inserts, cheapest way and I'll see how they go.

Incidently, although the towbar I had did not need the rear bumper removed, I found it much easier to do so. If you do remove yours you will need 6 of the plastic rivets that secure the bumper to the wheel arch. I spoke nicely to my dealer, and he let me have them buckshee.

You should find the T5 an ideal towcar, I used a 2.5 20v before and fuel consumption both towing and normal running were virtually identical, the T5 making less down changes thru the auto box.

Good luck

Gary

gary1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 20:15   #5
eddie69
Eddie69

Gary,
cheers for all your info mate much appreciated,

regards eddie
850 T5
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 21:28   #6
gavinmcf

Have a look at www.rightconnections.co.uk for complete wiring kits for Volvos. I have just wired up the tow bar on my V70 Classic with a kit from Right Connections that cost £25 inc p&p and took 45 mins to fit. Volvo's price is £76. NO re-programming required!
Regards,
Gavin McF.