Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 340 1.4 weber 104 carb fueling problem

Views : 2187

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 15:23   #1
Cypher007
Master Member

Default volvo 340 1.4 weber 104 carb fueling problem

i have the above car 1990 on a G plate. it has the weber 32 dir 104 variant. ive put a service kit on it as the previous owner had disconnected the choke and generally buggered about. anyway after putting the kit on the problem of "running rich when the revs were increased", was i thought cured. but it has returned and im not sure which bit of the carb controls the leaning out of the mixture when the revs are held at say 2k? tried tonight managed to get the carb to lean out, but noticed at one or two points the mixture went berzerk upto about 11-20% co, and the engine started running rough. this happened at idle and without me touching anything i had to rev it just to keep it running. when i let go the co and idle returned to normal. could it be something to do with the float? it happens instantly like a switch being thrown.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 15:43   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: volvo 340 1.4 weber 104 carb fueling problem

Could well be the float needle worn or dirt coming through the line and holding the needle off its seat.
You could check the float level and adjust it a little anyway as the carb is probably worn a bit increasing the level.
As far as I know the only way of altering the mixture apart from the slow running mixture screw (which alters the mix up to 1/4 throttle) is changing the jets.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 21:04   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Yep check the float level. Eye measuring is always, I think difficult, so I use a twist drill of as close to the thickness quoted as you can.

Hope that helps.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 13:12   #4
srtames

the fuel cut off solenoid controls the idle jet and can cause many odd symptoms when it sticks. The final cure is to saw 1/8 in off the end of the plunger and you get a much better idle and starting. the only downside is that you get running on when the engine is hot.

regards, Steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 13:21   #5
johnw

I saw a post or article recently where the engine breather was blocked and this can cause the CO measurements you describe. Volvos are well-known for blocking their crankcase breathers.

Also there is supposed to be a restrictor in the breather hose from the top of the engine to the bottom of the carb, used at idle but not in loaded running. At one time there was no replacement available so even Volvo dealers were throwing away the old restrictor with the old hose, and fitting a new hose with no restrictor, then riching up the idle mixture lots to make it run as too much air was coming out of the breather and bypassing the carb at idle. When you rev to 2-3k with no load this will make the mixture go very rich as the amount air coming thrigh the breather has not changed but the amount of super-rich mixture coming through the carb has trebled. See where I am going.

Check the hose by blowing through it. Don't suck - it tastes horrible

Just a thought for you to try?