Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to remove stereo facelift 2005-on S60 and V70

Views : 6044

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 13:11   #1
John_C
Allons-y!

Default How to remove stereo facelift 2005-on S60 and V70

It's actually pretty easy to upgrade the stereo on the facelift cars but it is different to the earlier ones so the instructions which tell you to unclip the pen holder as one of the first steps aren't applicable any more.

I couldn't find a how-to anywhere so did it by trial and error, here's how.

No pictures in this I'm afraid, I was going to take some as I went but I forgot

** Disconnect the battery before starting this process or you risk getting an "SRS Service Urgent" warning and having to pay a dealer to clear it! **

First remove the gearstick surround, lever it up from the back of the surround and it just clips off.

This exposes 2x large torx head screws under the cig lighter panel, unscrew them both.

The *entire* stereo/climate unit will now come out in one big piece - it is unweildy so be prepared. Move the gear lever back as far as it will go and pull the bottom of the stereo/climate unit towards you. It will drop down slightly at the top and can then be removed.

You can now see that the whole assembly is held in a black plastic surround, presumably this is to make building the car easier and cheaper as the whole assembly can just be put into the car in one unit. Check the head unit you are intending to install as the surround may need to be modified (e.g. I had to cut a hole in it for an exhaust fan on my new head unit).

Remove the cig lighter cable and connections to the stereo. The cable for the climate control panel (green connector at the back of the panel) needs to come off too but can't be removed at this point - at least not unless your hands are a lot smaller and more agile than mine!

Unscrew the three torx head screws at the top of the stereo behind the surrounding trim, then remove the trim by unclipping it from the main black plastic housing.

To remove the stereo you will need to take the climate panel out. This is secured by 4x large torx head screws on the back of the stereo/climate unit. Unscrew them and the climate panel can be removed from the plastic housing. At this point there is enough access to easily remove the cable to the climate unit.

Now the stereo can be removed by unclipping it and levering it out of the plastic surround. The cupholder just unclips too.

Reassembly is literally the reverse of the instructions above but be aware there is not a lot of room behind the plastic surround when everything is refitted so if you're adding a lot of additional cabling and plugs (e.g. ISO convertor leads) you are going to have to place the cables carefully or the assembly won't fit back in.

Hope this is useful, any questions or if I've made any mistakes please do make a followup post.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 14:22   #2
delphi
Delphi

Thanks for the tip on removing the climate control connector. I tried to get it out the other day and it wouldn't move, nearly broke it in the process. I tried to get the DIN unit out after removing the torx screws but it seemed that even after all the plastic clips had ben released, there was something holding it back. With very little space I could not fathom what was going on, so I abandoned it, rather than risk breaking it. I need to get the DIN unit out so that I can take out a jammed CD left in by an ex friend. I don't think I need to go all the way to fit the IMiV.
delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 18:47   #3
Ant1

Hello all,

John - my '05 V70 is automatic and the lever locks in the forward position, Park, unless I suppose I just turn the ignition off with it in one of the running positions. Any ideas? Anyone?

I'm not much bothered about the CD player but I hate to write off these CDs...

Regards Ant
Ant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 14:02   #4
JohnSmith500746

Default Radio

2005 Volvo V70
Is is ok to run car without a radio connected

I am about to remove the hu-80 unit and send off for repair and I don't want to be without a car while is it being fixed
My idea would be to reinstall the CCM with out the radio
Is this a OK idea?

John

Last edited by JohnSmith500746; Nov 3rd, 2023 at 14:08. Reason: Error
JohnSmith500746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 12:16   #5
hawksport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmith500746 View Post
2005 Volvo V70
Is is ok to run car without a radio connected

I am about to remove the hu-80 unit and send off for repair and I don't want to be without a car while is it being fixed
My idea would be to reinstall the CCM with out the radio
Is this a OK idea?

John
I drove mine without the radio in for a couple of days.Just remember you have no reverse sensors
hawksport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hawksport For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 13:15   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it will generate a fault ('comms to audio module' or something like that) but no warning shows on the dash, only visible when connected with VIDA

presumably that goes away when reconnected (or next time you clear the faults after that point)

my fault still exists because I binned it and put a touch screen in, there is zero effect on the rest of the car except as mentioned if you had beepers, but mine didn't (and now has a camera anyway)

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 15:26   #7
jeremycolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1 View Post
Hello all,

John - my '05 V70 is automatic and the lever locks in the forward position, Park, unless I suppose I just turn the ignition off with it in one of the running positions. Any ideas? Anyone?

I'm not much bothered about the CD player but I hate to write off these CDs...

Regards Ant
Firstly, with battery connected, ignition on and foot on the brake, move the gear lever forward so that you can release the trim panel that surrounds it, then move it back as far as it will go. Now, disconnect the battery. Then undo the torx screws, pull the whole unit towards you and down. Once released, you can pull it forward with the cables still connected and turn it sideways so that you can reach the plugs.

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 15:54   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

dont disconnect Aircon/heater panel with the battery connected or it will generate an SRS fault

connect it up again before reinstating battery

just to add an extra bit of clarification on why to disconnect battery

why they decided to wire the SRS system through there is anyone's guess, just for a laugh maybe who knows

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote