Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my SPA Volvo's are failing...keep after 3 years?

Views : 3410

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:30   #1
soupytwister
Master Member

Default my SPA Volvo's are failing...keep after 3 years?

I'm having no luck right now.

2017 XC90 in today due to blue smoke from engine. Now found the following for which they initially sent me a text with a £2950 request for authorisation (2.5 years old, 16k miles). I soon got that back down to £0.00
  1. steering lock faulty, requires new unit and software and screws due to perm code
  2. Oil leaks, rocker cover gasket leaking and will require injector seals and washers and fuel pipes
  3. Requires recall r29945 ECM upgrade rework
  4. requires VCM (car modem i think) replaced due to internal fault (£1772)
  5. fault logged for pulse air mechanical failure will require investigated

Sep 2019 S60 awaiting going in with fault with "brake failure, pull over" message appearing. Still to be assessed. Would have had it in but they couldn't give me the XC90 back.

The question really is - would you keep your SPA car much beyond 3-5 years? Who would be willing to pay £1772 to keep Spotify going and such like...
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:01   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.

I have had my MY18 XC60 for almost 2 years and it has been fine up to the past few weeks, when the starter motor needed replacement after making an extra metallic noise on startup. Fast forward to this week and it's going in on Thursday to fix a 'Volvo On Call - Service Required' error.

I wouldn't run a car of this complexity without some form of warranty.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:07   #3
soupytwister
Master Member

The XC90 was also trouble free for 2 years, so it's a shame really as had run faultlessly in that time. It doesn't really bother me as covered by warranty, but just forsee big bills in the tech in these cars (and their equivalents in every brand) in the years ahead.

e.g., a light - used to be a 50p bulb if it failed. It's now £1k to fix!
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:11   #4
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Fast forward to this week and it's going in on Thursday to fix a 'Volvo On Call - Service Required' error. .
You've probably got the same as me then - will likely need the VCM module replacing (which is £1772!). Is your spotify or other apps working ok?
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:17   #5
Duri13

I have 4y warranty on my XC90 and if it gets faulty during this time, I will sell it at the end of that period. Volvo LUX is lousy at repairing cars and they often need several attempts to fix something, so I would not like to cover that with my own money every time. It is enough pain to deal with them already with a warranty.
I extended warranty on my previous XC60 for extra 3y and it was money well invested. I had many issues with that car and was happy to sell it towards the end of year 5.

If, however, my current XC90 will be without any major issues, I might take a risk and drive it a bit longer. It was still a lot of money I paid for it, so I would not mind to have it longer. And so far it has been a fantastic car, cannot imagine anything more from it

In your case, with your history with your Volvo, I would not keep it long...
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)

Last edited by Duri13; Nov 5th, 2019 at 19:18. Reason: grammar :)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:31   #6
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I'm having no luck right now.
2017 XC90 in today due to blue smoke from engine.
what engine is this about?
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:31   #7
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
what engine is this about?
D5 Powerpulse
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:59   #8
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
You've probably got the same as me then - will likely need the VCM module replacing (which is £1772!). Is your spotify or other apps working ok?
Service Manager said it was likely to be the VCM module - under warranty so it won't cost anything. Don't use Spotify or the other apps but the Volvo On Call app which I do use isn't working.

£1772 would be a scary bill outside of warranty. It's not just the apps that are affected - the Volvo On Call and SOS functionality don't work either.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 20:04   #9
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Service Manager said it was likely to be the VCM module - under warranty so it won't cost anything. Don't use Spotify or the other apps but the Volvo On Call app which I do use isn't working.

£1772 would be a scary bill outside of warranty. It's not just the apps that are affected - the Volvo On Call and SOS functionality don't work either.
It's a bit odd in mine. The VOC app didn't work for quite a few weeks, then sprang into life again. Yet the internet apps continued to not work. I guess it must have started working ok through the Volvo SIM rather than the Customer SIM given I can now locate the car again on the app. Strangely, I can't lock/unlock the car on the app right now. So it's all a bit messy. Sounds more like a software fault than a hardware fault perhaps....
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 21:24   #10
James77
Master Member

My plan currently is to keep this car for 5 plus years and then if technology has developed to make it viable go fully electric. If the car plays up that might change I have the standard 3 year warranty can that be extended (with volvo) near the end I'd rather not have a third party warranty?

If the vcm fails post 3 years with no extended warranty but the car drives fine I could just accept voc and the apps are no longer available it's not the end. I wouldn't pay 1772 to have it replaced.

Are days of long term car ownership over? I feel for second and third hand owners.