Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 pre or post '06?

Views : 1088

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 20:31   #1
grandtourer

Default S80 pre or post '06?

I'm thinking of buying an S80 D5. Cost wise I can afford something around 2005/06/07. I'm looking for something which is highly comfortable for long distance journeys, but also quiet and with a smooth ride.

Obviously the older ones have a larger boot, the newer ones have more sophisticated styling.

Which is the best?
grandtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 20:37   #2
izools

Well I have a '55 plate which is of the MY06 onward design, and it's pretty comfortable.

The seats are absolutely ace and I don't ache at all on long journeys. They have good side boulsters so I don't slip on my seat when I take a roundabout in too high a gear... and have adjustable lumbar support.

Having never driven the earlier revision I can't compare them but certainly the seats are much better than in my E39 BMW 5-Series. The suspension and steering is more wooden so it doesn't iron out bumps as much but you can't really compare an S60 to a 5-Series huh
izools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 20:40   #3
grandtourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izools View Post
Well I have a '55 plate which is of the MY06 onward design, and it's pretty comfortable.

The seats are absolutely ace and I don't ache at all on long journeys. They have good side boulsters so I don't slip on my seat when I take a roundabout in too high a gear... and have adjustable lumbar support.

Having never driven the earlier revision I can't compare them but certainly the seats are much better than in my E39 BMW 5-Series. The suspension and steering is more wooden so it doesn't iron out bumps as much but you can't really compare an S60 to a 5-Series huh
Interesting. A 5-Series would be another contender on my list but while I recognise the Beemer would have better handling, seats are my top priority. I'm coming from a Jag S Type which has great handling but rubbish seats.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:16   #4
grandtourer

any other opinions?
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 09:51   #5
A lex
Premier Member

Volvos have a wide-sread reputation as having some of the comfiest seats going, more so than BMW/Audi/Etc.

Is it possible to spec the 'comfort' seats on the 5 series? - I know on the 7 they are renowned as being bloody awesome, but havent read about them on the 5....
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:35   #6
jimbo1952

I had a new 5 series in 2004 the shape before the current one I had the comfort seats fitted and they were the best I have ever sat in if you can find one with comfort seats fitted they were a rare option you had to have the upgraded leather and full electric with memory on both cost about 3.5 k if I remember correctly

Mind you the car was bloody unreliable kept breaking down chopped it for an audi A8 with comfort seats not as good as the BMW seats but the car was awsome
jimbo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:24   #7
Arnold Layne

I've just bought a 2007 S80 D5 SE Sport, having deliberated long and hard. I was initially looking at the older shape S60's, but decided that I wanted a newer motor with newer styling. I have to say, I didn't like the styling of the older S80's, but I'm quite taken with the new shape. I'm absolutely delighted with mine, the seats are tremendous. I also do very high mileage, so comfort was high on my list of priorities. I've had 2 petrol Volvo T5's before this one, but I bought a D5 because I need to get better fuel consumption than a T5 can give me now.

I'd have no problem recommending the S80 D5, but I'd say you should be aware of it's potential problems. I've just taken delivery of mine, and had a message saying "Engine System Service Required". Had it looked at this morning, and it's the Swirl Arm, which is a common fault on D5's. Thankfully there's a lot written about it, and it's not too expensive to fix. I've managed to get the dealer to pay for the repairs, which I think is only fair as I'd had it less than half a day.

Last edited by Arnold Layne; Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:25. Reason: punctuation
Arnold Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 15:29   #8
p.swan

I've got a late 'old' model S80 D5 , 2004 m/y spec with egg crate grill etc. Seats are fab, but can't quite compare with the very very best which are Saab. Ride is a tad floppy at slow speeds on lumpy B roads, but quickly smooths out with speed and is almost magic carpet on the motorway. Don't expect sports car handling. Better than some might think when you get used to it, but its a big old bus and thats how it drives. Engine refinement is quite good, for a diesel. Grumbles a bit at idle, seems to instantly smooth out above 1200rpm; using quality super grade diesel makes a HUGE difference here.
Looking on here one of the greatest advantages of going for an earlier model is that they are far less complicated under the bonet, no DPF to go wrong etc.. having less emissions tackle strangling things under there also means better mpg too. Mine does 39 on stop start commute and nearly 50 on a run. These earlier types can also be picked up for a song. Bought mine last September, 42k miles from new, top spec, dealer plus one elderly owner, fsh, £4350. Beat that!
p.swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 15:55   #9
V70RMW
Master Member

I would have thought no contest. To say the old model looks dated would be an understatement (somehow much worse than the quite similar S60). The newer model is also really cheap. I was thinking about replacing my old V70 with the new shape but don't think I'll be able to resist the prices of the s80s and get a roof box with the thousands I have saved.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 21:32   #10
S40 Squared

Hmm, we have owned 3 S80's:

1. 51 plate 2.4 140bhp (bought new) 30MPG
2. 03 plate D5 SE auto (bought 1 year old and fully loaded) 44MPG
3. 57 plate S80 2.4d SE Lux Geartronic (again, bought 1 year old and fully loaded) 38MPG

All have done over 100k, been supremely comfortable (all had heated seats) and the petrol was the most reliable. You wont go wrong with either variant for comfort and all are powerful and faster than people think. Auto is best for smooth ride/comfort btw.

The 03 D5 sounds the best when cruising and its gearbox was better for smoothness whereas the 57 2.4d Geartronic is put to shame by the super smooth auto in our 53 plate S40 1.8S. I believe later model S80's (2008/09 on) have better geartronic boxes.

Styling preference is up to you. I'd have either model S80 over a Jag S-Type as that has a shallow boot and poor headroom in the rear. BMW is ok, but I dont recall seeing many on the road when it gets snowy. All the above S80's have been fine in snow.

Also, the S80 will become the S90 in 2015 and by that point we will be cruising round in an Infiniti (something different and not as ugly as the front end of the recently revised S60/S80s).

Happy hunting!