Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850/855 TDI Non Starting

Views : 645

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2014, 21:52   #1
Dan H

Default 850/855 TDI Non Starting

Hi, I have a 1996/7 855/850 TDI that I got from a Mate of mine.

We changed the front end of the car and the seats to v70 so it looked abit newer and seats were heated leather. He then changed the looms from P/S and D/S to the looms from the v70, The v70 was a 2.5T petrol. Now since we changed them the car wouldn't start.
I've put the looms back to the original looms that were already on the car, But it still wont start, We're getting fuel to the injectors when they're cracked off but it will not fire.
It was running fine before the looms got changed.
My mate has apparently done the mod to the Immobiliser relay so that it will bypass it, not sure how he has done this but i read up something that two terminals inside the relay had to be bridged?
He gave the car to a local garage he uses, The mechanics checked everything over and still couldn't get it started.
They got an Auto Electrician to have a look at it and he somehow got it started but had some sort of big box attached to the car somewhere, Now the Auto Electrician is refusing to work on the car because of us changing the looms.

Anyone shed any light onto why they think it might not be starting?
Dan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 09:42   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

I think by changing the looms around you may have somehow thrown the injection timing so far out that it wont start. Anyway you can check the pump timing?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 10:51   #3
Dan H

I'm not too sure, The car is still in the garage, The pump is ran off the gearbox side on these isn't it? The auto Electrician had the car started Using some sort of device plugged into the car, So not sure if its anything mechanical wise.. Could probably give it a go when i get it back, see whats what.

There is also some sort of fuel pre-heater type things just above the gearbox but attached to the engine, Has some wires coming off them, One of them has a snapped off plug/terminal type thing, So not sure if that could be something to do with it either.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:14   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Thats the coolant preheater I think you found there, got what looks like 3 glowplugs in it?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:24   #5
Dan H

yeah 3 little glow plug things... its up for sale as spares or repairs anyway, hopefully somebody will take it off my hands, 3/4 tank of fuel, full v70 leather and front end etc.