Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 - ECU Software...

Views : 2239

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2015, 14:20   #1
Gotcha

Default D3 - ECU Software...

Been looking and reading up, because I want to up the software on my D3 Powershift.

Option 1: Rica can take it from the stock 150hp 350nm to 201hp and 451nm. Which is awesome, only problem is, I will have to take out and send my ECU to them in Netherlands to have it hacked....and software loaded. From SA

Option 2: Veloce performance say they can also do it, without a hack, in Boot mode, also 200Hp and 450nm. Wonder if they maybe have or load Rica map or own software tune....I do not think they know about the PIN issue. So that will void this option.

Option 3: Plug and play units like Chipbox - gains at 10 to 15%

Option 4: Polestar from Volvo themselves. About same price as Rica, minus the courier and downtime. Figures gained 177hp and 400nm.

But the thing that I am wondering now, is Polestar does more than just the engine, as they state. And this may be a deciding factor....
As the powershift can be little annoying from pull away as there is a delay.

But Polestar claims:

Gearshift Speed*
The gearshift speed has been increased for the car to accelerate faster and react more direct to the commands of the driver, for example when shifting down fast ahead of an overtaking manoeuvre. A faster gearbox provides the driver with more direct control of the car.

Gearshift Precision and Gear Hold*
The gearshifts have been calibrated to provide a more direct and precise driving experience as well as faster acceleration. Gearshift points have been calibrated to efficiently utilise the optimised mid-range performance of the engine. The gear hold function holds the gear during cornering at high lateral g-forces, preventing unwanted gearshifts mid-corner that can unsettle the balance of the car.

* = Automatic gearbox only
http://www.polestar.com/wp-content/u...er_Eng_Web.pdf

Any info would be appreciated. If polestar software improves all of this...then I think it will be wise to go for it.

Last edited by Gotcha; Oct 20th, 2015 at 14:28.
Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 15:20   #2
civilservant

Can't answer your question but if it were me, I would opt for Polestar as this would avoid any potential problems regarding warranty and unapproved modifications. Plus Polestar, I believe, offer a guarantee...?
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 16:23   #3
Gotcha

Not worried about the warranty on this one. But most tuners take over a warranty. But the Polestar is Volvo approved.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 17:26   #4
Pchende

What prices have you been quoted for the Polestar map, if its similar priced to the rica one but polestar also tweak the gearbox settings i would go for the Polestar one.

As you say also you dont have to remove your ecu if your like me and the need the car everyday its a no brainer.
Pchende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 21:52   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Been looking and reading up, because I want to up the software on my D3 Powershift.

Option 1: Rica can take it from the stock 150hp 350nm to 201hp and 451nm. Which is awesome, only problem is, I will have to take out and send my ECU to them in Netherlands to have it hacked....and software loaded. From SA

Option 2: Veloce performance say they can also do it, without a hack, in Boot mode, also 200Hp and 450nm. Wonder if they maybe have or load Rica map or own software tune....I do not think they know about the PIN issue. So that will void this option.

Option 3: Plug and play units like Chipbox - gains at 10 to 15%

Option 4: Polestar from Volvo themselves. About same price as Rica, minus the courier and downtime. Figures gained 177hp and 400nm.

But the thing that I am wondering now, is Polestar does more than just the engine, as they state. And this may be a deciding factor....
As the powershift can be little annoying from pull away as there is a delay.

But Polestar claims:

Gearshift Speed*
The gearshift speed has been increased for the car to accelerate faster and react more direct to the commands of the driver, for example when shifting down fast ahead of an overtaking manoeuvre. A faster gearbox provides the driver with more direct control of the car.

Gearshift Precision and Gear Hold*
The gearshifts have been calibrated to provide a more direct and precise driving experience as well as faster acceleration. Gearshift points have been calibrated to efficiently utilise the optimised mid-range performance of the engine. The gear hold function holds the gear during cornering at high lateral g-forces, preventing unwanted gearshifts mid-corner that can unsettle the balance of the car.

* = Automatic gearbox only
http://www.polestar.com/wp-content/u...er_Eng_Web.pdf

Any info would be appreciated. If polestar software improves all of this...then I think it will be wise to go for it.
Powershift gearbox on a D3 ?? ie ford gearbox on a volvo engine ?
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 09:10   #6
Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchende View Post
What prices have you been quoted for the Polestar map, if its similar priced to the rica one but polestar also tweak the gearbox settings i would go for the Polestar one.

As you say also you dont have to remove your ecu if your like me and the need the car everyday its a no brainer.
Well the price is the same, and no downtime. But I am still waiting for the reply from Polestar. So far I am leaning to the Polestar software.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 09:18   #7
Pchende

Quote:
Well the price is the same, and no downtime. But I am still waiting for the reply from Polestar. So far I am leaning to the Polestar software.
Definitely sounds the right choice to me.
Pchende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:22   #8
Gotcha

Spoke to guys at Polestar, and the Auto Gearbox mods are only available on the new 4 cyl models. "“the new generation optimisation” is only offered to four cylinder drive-E VEA engines"

So they only enhance the engine power......
"We will not reprogram the gearbox. But, The gearbox will shift faster and smoother, especially in S-mode, because of the higher torque/power.
The Engine torque does affect the function of the gearbox in all Volvo models"

So I may be rethink this....

I was at the coast last week, and the little extra boost.....was awesome!!! And you can hear the turbo whistle even more.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 18:22   #9
PierreC

Quote:
Hi Gotcha

I am confused when you say D3 Powershift ... all D3's in South Africa have the Geartronic transmission. Powershift is the Ford double clutch gearbox and is only on the T3 and T4 ... actually WAS, when these were the Ford 1.6 litre engines.

Double check but I do believe you have a Geartronic - I certainly do ...

Current: 2016 V40 D4 AT & 2010 XC60 T6 AT
Previous: 2015 V40 D3 AT, 2007 S60 2.5T MT, 2004 S60 2.0T MT, 2002 XC70 2.4T AT Autotech Tune, 1996 850 GLT MT
PierreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 21:18   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreC View Post
Hi Gotcha

I am confused when you say D3 Powershift ... all D3's in South Africa have the Geartronic transmission. Powershift is the Ford double clutch gearbox and is only on the T3 and T4 ... actually WAS, when these were the Ford 1.6 litre engines.

Double check but I do believe you have a Geartronic - I certainly do ...
Powershift is only on the ford based engines , currently popular on the D2 up until a few months ago when it was axed .