Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Fluid Service

Views : 2108

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2024, 17:22   #31
mcfe

Well I ordered Lubeguard Platinum and will try it soon.

As for adaptations, I plan to try and modify them. I have dumped my TCM rom and have discovered RAM addresses and such for most of them.

My issues are actually sticky solenoids and a slipping TCC clutch. The clutch itself is likely worn and needs to be reconditioned.

As for lubeguard, Red is for torque converter shudder. Platinum and Black are HFM for when you want to convert a base fluid to OEM spec and perhaps fix some other issues like brittle o-rings and maybe just maybe free up sticky solenoids.

As for oil level, it's incredibly difficult to get it right. You need an absolutely level surface + correct temp to measure at. With the car still running if I remember correctly.

Actually my symptoms are more significant, while usually I would say TCC issues + sticky solenoids, I think my 3rd gear is slipping. Whenever the car is accelerating in 3rd gear it feels waay less powerful than 4th. And when I put my car in 3rd gear using the shifter, there is a slight moment at 40kmh/ where I get shudder or slipping, I deduced TCC clutch at the time, but it could very well be the actual 3rd gear clutch packs.

Last edited by mcfe; May 31st, 2024 at 17:31.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2024, 21:09   #32
Kev0607
Premier Member

Interested when to add Lubeguard.

If the level in the transmission has to be spot on in these cars, surely adding a product like Lubeguard is going to increase the level? So to get it correct, you have to drain some fluid out, which may have the Lubeguard in it?
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 09:11   #33
mcfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Interested when to add Lubeguard.

If the level in the transmission has to be spot on in these cars, surely adding a product like Lubeguard is going to increase the level? So to get it correct, you have to drain some fluid out, which may have the Lubeguard in it?
That is how it is. If you plan to add 10 oz of Lubeguard, you need to first drain 10 oz of fluid.

The first time I ever did drain and fills and did about 30 liters, I would drain X and fill X, yet after a while of driving, I saw that I had 500ml less fluid and drove the car like that, oddly though, it shifted better like that than with the now correct fluid level.

Fluid also expands. If you measure it at 80C or whatever VIDA suggests, and drain the fluid at 80C, you will quickly see that after it cools down it occupies less volume. So if you drain 10oz at 80C, and add 10 oz of Lubeguard at room temp, you will have actually drained less ATF and your total fluid level will exceed the MAX level.

Last edited by mcfe; Jun 1st, 2024 at 09:34.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 15:11   #34
Kev0607
Premier Member

10 fluid ounces is 296mL.

So would this be the right process? Instead of draining circa 300ml, could you add 300ml less trans fluid?

Drain the fluid from the transmission as your normally would. Maybe do it a few times if its really bad.

The final time, add 300ml less transmission fluid via the fill hole to account for the near 300ml of Lubeguard that needs to be added (I don't think 4ml will make much difference). Then pour the Lubeguard in and use VIDA to set the level properly.

Where do you get this Lubeguard from? I've tried Halfords, but can't see it. Or are there any alternatives? Just to improve shifting in general so its smoother.

Do you have to have new fluid for this Lubeguard to work? Or can it be poured into a transmission that was serviced not so long ago (last year with only 3k miles done tops)? Obviously drain some fluid out before adding the Lubeguard, but seems a waste dumping fluid that was changed not so long ago. If it has to be added to fresh fluid, then that’s fair enough.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 2nd, 2024 at 15:25.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 15:32   #35
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

When I was putting new fluid back in I was using a measuring jug, just put the lubegard in the jug and then top up to whatever level you were aiming for with the fluid. Simple really..

I suppose the question being asked though is if you're adding some but not while doing a fluid change in which case yeah you'd want to drain some out. To be honest though if you've got the car jacked up and you're already draining a little why not just wait a bit longer and drain more.

Depends how much atf fluid you've got spare I guess

I got my lubegard on ebay like pretty much everything I buy for the car these days, that or amazon

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 17:50   #36
mcfe

Yes, adding lubeguard to an otherwise normal ATF level will essentially bring it over above the MAX reading.

Otherwise a drain and fill of 3.5l(or however much is drained) would be better. You are introducing newer fluid AND lubeguard.

So if you drain 3.5 liters, you will fill your jug or whatever with 3.2l of ATF and add 300ml of Lubeguard(10 oz I round up).

However, it should be noted what is what. Red is a protectant, Black is HFM, Platinum is HFM + protectant, so Red + Black combo, I've spoken over email with a sales representative.

HFM is added to fluid that is not OEM spec, e.g Mannol, Toyota ATF, Mobil, even Dexron 3 to convert it to such.

Platinum(and maybe Black unsure) has a special additive to somewhat restore worn seals, thereby increasing oil pressures and improving shifting. Whether it will free sticky solenoids is well, possibly down to how clogged they are.
As for Torque converter issues, well...can't say if Red or Black or Platinum fix that as well or it's just Instant Shudder Fix that does it.

My symptoms are a slipping TCC clutch at times and now I believe 3rd gear clutch packs may be worn. I have noticed less than normal temperatures of my gearbox oil, it heats up too easily. My hope is Platinum will somewhat make it so it lasts a bit longer.

Last edited by mcfe; Jun 2nd, 2024 at 18:11.