Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic? Do you use the handbrake?

Views : 1371

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 19:04   #51
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the very fact you never use the parking brake means that eventually when you do need to use it, its not going to work and will fail the MOT and cost you money to repair.
With the XC90 it does get used occasionally, you don't have a choice (as far as I'm aware) with an XC90, if you're on an incline over a certain few degrees the car will sense it and apply the brake whether you like it or not even if auto parking brake is turned off. So it does get used a few times per year. But on older cars which don't have these "features "I've not used the parking brake either - never had a problem with a parking brake for an MOT - but then I do all my own servicing so where there are handbrake cables and such like they get lubricated and agitated/adjusted depending on the vehicle. I'm down to four cars now so the servicing quality goes up as my time is less divided!
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 19:10   #52
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
It's because they don't understand the mechanicals, how it all works ... and because the man told them to use the parking brake they're not going to do it ... don't wanna let the man win!

They'll mostly be the same personality types that got upset when an orange conman & failed reality-TV compere lost a presidential election in some foreign country or other.
I rebuilt my first engine when I was 13 - I've developed my own software for cam and port design leading to my own spec race engines also built by me, I've built about 100 engines in my lifetime. I've rebuilt diffs, transmissions and put together DIY fuel injection systems. I think I understand the mechanicals. I don't use the parking brake on automatic cars.

And if you think a senile old man that didn't campaign and couldn't fill a socially-distanced car park with supporters while the other guy was packing out stadia obtained 81m votes - statistically beating Obama at his peak - more fool you.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 21:59   #53
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is a very good point, 'Simmy'. In addition, a hand brake operating on the discs may lose effectiveness should the discs contract on cooling, whereas a drum contracting onto shoes can only increase that of a drum operated one.

Regards, John.
i have 3 volvos with both types of hand brake all long term cars and have a fair bit of Experience with the working of both systems
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 13:21   #54
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvocano View Post
And if you think a senile old man that didn't campaign and couldn't fill a socially-distanced car park with supporters while the other guy was packing out stadia obtained 81m votes - statistically beating Obama at his peak - more fool you.
More fool them, I'd suggest. Turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 16:45   #55
poisondart
Well la dee frickin' da

Haven't read through all the comments here, but I find it interesting that such a question has generated so much commentary.

My 2 cents - the early XC90s suffered from a poor handbrake and, myself included, saw several MOT failures as a result.

I learned afterwards that the best approach is you either use it or lose it (it was probably Clan that told me that that way back in the day).

Anyway, having said that, when the cars are in the driveway, I just leave them in gear, handbrake not applied; there's the chance that either of them could be left for several days not driven, and I don't want the hand brake sticking.
poisondart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 21:07   #56
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondart View Post
Anyway, having said that, when the cars are in the driveway, I just leave them in gear, handbrake not applied; there's the chance that either of them could be left for several days not driven, and I don't want the hand brake sticking.
A very good point and one I don't think has come up so far. I do the same, especially during the winter months but then I'm fortunate to have a level driveway.

I do so because going back a fair few years now, I once left a V70 in the business car park of Heathrow T5 for three months over February. When I returned late one Friday night the handbrake was so stuck on I had to call Volvo Recovery for them to come out and hammer them off.
Old Today, 12:27   #57
Simmy
Premier Member

i have never seen a volvo hand brake stuck on ..my 3 cars have 600k miles between them. i believe it down to regular maintaining
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45   #58
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
i have never seen a volvo hand brake stuck on ..my 3 cars have 600k miles between them. i believe it down to regular maintaining
Nothing to do with how it was maintained in this case (that car wanted for nothing), it worked perfectly well before and after and throughout the 7 years I owned it.

Everything to do with leaving it on for a month, outside, during winter and after driving on salted roads. Which is why I continue to suggest not leaving them on for *prolonged* periods of time, where it isn't necessary.

Last edited by Moose Test; Today at 12:49.
Moose Test is online now   Reply With Quote