Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 XC60 has started to "stutter" in low revs.

Views : 302

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 22:12   #1
Paul230164

Default 2014 XC60 has started to "stutter" in low revs.

Hi Guys. I hope some clever soul here can shed some light on a problem that has recently developed on our 2014 XC60 2.0l Diesel FWD183.

As I gently accelerate from standing start, it seems to momentarily loose power and the car judders a little. This happens repeatidly until the car is quick enough to change to 3rd. Its prevalent in 1st and second gears. It's not noticeable if you hard accelerate from standing and it seems to pull really well like this.

I have completed some standard changes. I first changed the diesel filter and though the car seemed to increase performance slightly, it did not stop this symptom. I have changed the air filter and cleaned MAF sensor.

I have also used VDASH to check for faults and none were reported. I also asked a mechanic friend to check codes on a Snap On scanner and again, it came up clean. There is also on occassion a "Low Engine Performance " warning on the dash.

It feels to me as though it may be fuel or air starvation or perhaps a cracked intake pipe but basic inspection did not show this.

I am beginning to worry that its something sinister so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks guys

Paul
Paul230164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 23:15   #2
rxtian

Can Vdash show live data? If it can, try a drive while displaying the target EGR position, actual EGR position, and EGR error. I’ve caught mine hesitating when the EGR appears to overshoot - effectively momentarily choking the engine. It’s rare and momentary at the moment but I’m planning to clean the valve to hopefully stop it soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9349.jpg (73.1 KB, 5 views)
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 23:44   #3
Paul230164

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
Can Vdash show live data? If it can, try a drive while displaying the target EGR position, actual EGR position, and EGR error. I’ve caught mine hesitating when the EGR appears to overshoot - effectively momentarily choking the engine. It’s rare and momentary at the moment but I’m planning to clean the valve to hopefully stop it soon.
I will check this tomorrow but if VDASH does not, what obdc are you using please? Thanks man for the suggestion
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 09:17   #4
rxtian

It’s an iPhone app called Car Scanner:
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-sc...2/id1259933623

The adaptor I got doesn’t seem available anymore, it was called ELM327 Viecar. The app description has recommended adaptors listed.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 11:35   #5
Paul230164

Quote:
It’s an iPhone app called Car Scanner:
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-sc...2/id1259933623

The adaptor I got doesn’t seem available anymore, it was called ELM327 Viecar. The app description has recommended adaptors listed.
Thanks man. I do have a notable change. I ran vdash again today basically to check if live data is available. I ran code check and found this:

ECM-P00BC00 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too Low. General Failure
Information. No sub type information.

At least its a clue. I will investigate more but not sure my knowledge is good enough but it seems 1. Leaking manifold gasket 2. Faulty MAF sensor 3. A vacuum leak.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 15:10   #6
V60white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul230164 View Post
Thanks man. I do have a notable change. I ran vdash again today basically to check if live data is available. I ran code check and found this:

ECM-P00BC00 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too Low. General Failure
Information. No sub type information.

At least its a clue. I will investigate more but not sure my knowledge is good enough but it seems 1. Leaking manifold gasket 2. Faulty MAF sensor 3. A vacuum leak.
My 2013 V60 had this code...turned out to be the intercooler to throttle pipe had a split in it.
Produced occasional hesitation followed by turbo shutdown at 2500rpm.
I could reset the codes and drive it no problem upto 2500 rpm,,,as soon as it asked for more boost it coughed and gave up, I suspect the split actually closed at low rpm but under boost opened up.

https://i.postimg.cc/MK5TgkrH/20240312-123335.jpg
V60white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 15:52   #7
rxtian

I think EGR leaking could cause this as exhaust leaks into the intake instead of fresh air through the MAF…?
Old Yesterday, 17:22   #8
Paul230164

Default Further development

Finally I got my Vida working with this car. I ran DTC trace and found several faults, most of which refered to a door lock position.

I had no ECM faults.

So I cleared the faults and drove to work in the hope new faults pertaining to this stutter would show.

I did get 2 new faults: 1 Software incompatibility 2. Unknown fault

I have attached the pdfs from vida and ask anyone who can to shed some light on these. Could it be the previous owner remapped it?

I am going to use the weekend to remove the EGR and clean it properly. There is actually a great youtube video on this so will have a pop at it to see if this can help.

Thanks again for any help

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf unknown dtc.pdf (191.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf incorrect software.pdf (270.3 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 19:50   #9
rxtian

Looks similar to the issues in this thread mate:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...php?p=2903516&

Exhaust manifold pressure sensor maybe?

Seems like it’s usually that or the EGR with this engine!
Old Yesterday, 20:40   #10
Paul230164

Quote:
Looks similar to the issues in this thread mate:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...php?p=2903516&

Exhaust manifold pressure sensor maybe?

Seems like it’s usually that or the EGR with this engine!
Thanks for your continued support mate and for the link. I have read with interest but the only common I see there is the "unknown". Our car has none of the other fault codes nor do we have an engine management light on. We do still get the Reduced Engine Performance though.

I will of course take a look at this sensor to see if i can remove it and to check its condition. I have no idea where to find this pressure sensor but will research its location. This weekend is dedicated to EGR removal and clean