Thread: XC70: General - Fair bit puzzled over mpg..
View Single Post
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 15:46   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Their motorways have different tarmac that makes less noise/provides slightly less rolling resistance so you'll get better economy.

I ALWAYS find my diesel cars do better MPG on the continent, partly because we are only ever doing long distances, multiple tanks of motorway work on cruise control with no town/country road driving, partly maybe heat, in summer its often warmer on the continent, diesels prefer being warm. But I think fuel quality has got something to do with it as well. In Germany/Austria/Hungary we often get 'truck' diesel, which I think has a lower cetane rating (bad), but somehow we get better mpg from it. Might be it has a lubricant in it that our mechanical fuel pump engined car likes more? Smell from exhaust is defo MORE dieselly on euro truck stop fuel.

Prevailing wind as well? Makes a huge difference even 15mph of wind tail/head wind can make a big swing in your MPG figures.

Water in fuel, could be you had some milky crappy water logged fuel that you've been using when in UK, then you've done several big full tanks of fresh fuel and used up all the water laden fuel (I get big issues with this on motorbikes, lots of water in UK fuels IME).
I’ve been having this issue too with a Ford Transit.

A new EGR valve was fitted recently by a local trusted garage, but there were codes for water in fuel. I know the EGR is a separate issue, but the mechanics spotted the water in fuel errors & said its best to put a new fuel filter on… fair enough.

Previous to this (several months ago), I stopped to get fuel at a place that I wouldn’t normally go to (still a Texaco, but I rarely use it). After getting fuel, the van never seemed to run right after it, despite more fuel filter changes since then.

I’ve never been back to that fuel station again, but use a local Texaco that I’ve been using for many years for fuel. No other vehicle I drive or my family drive are getting these error codes & we all get fuel from the same place.

Its odd. I must have got a tank of water from that other garage!

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 10th, 2021 at 16:03.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote