Thread: General: - Castrol Edge 0W20
View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 22:44   #24
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
For about a tenner you can get an ELM327 and the Carscanner pro app and have 'all da gauges innit' including oil pressure and oil temp. I have a magnetic mount for my phone so it sits on my centre console with needles galore! Just a gimmick really but you can't have too many gauges imo! I do actually like the gear number indicator...
Cheers, yeah, I have got a bluetooth OBDC dongle - that software looks like fun but probably a bit too blingy for me these days! I might look into writing a little app. Dunno how hard it is to get into the Volvo app eco-system.

Suppose I could write a quick phone app talking to my OBDC dongle that tells me my oil temp has just passed a certain point. I've coded OBDC stuff before on a raspberry pi - it's pretty simple.

Back in the 80s when electronic rev limiters first appeared I bought two - one as a general rev limiter and another which was set much lower but was powered off a relay that switch the power out to the lower limiter when oil temp passed about 65c. I was running a high capacity oil pump and it would wreck havoc with cold oil if I got a bit impatient - the spirit of youth I guess!
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote