View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 07:49   #25
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thank you, everyone, that’s really helpful. Too many replies for me to respond to individually, but I’ve been through the recommendations and tried to put them into a list so we can work through it:

While doing timing belt, check the water pump and seals on the cam and auxiliary shafts;
Check dates for oil and coolant changes, and possibly spark plugs and air filter as well. Brake pads – check;
Check brake fluid water contamination;
Check the engine and gearbox mounts;
Clear the sills out;
Carefully clean the calipers out and push each of the pistons back a bit to check they aren’t seized;
Check the brake piston dust seals are in good condition (consider a brake piston spreader) and the flexible hoses are in good condition with no cracks or bulges (throughout the car, I guess);
Check condition of radiator to see if it needs replacing;
Lubricate the belt adjusters, lubricate the bonnet hinges, lubricate the exhaust manifold studs, lubricate the headlight securing nuts.

We’re also going to give the car a good clean underneath once we’ve got the belt done so we can see what state it’s in there, and hopefully get any welding done soon – we both would like to learn to weld but it’s a question of space and not really knowing what we’re doing! I did some oxy-acetylene when I was a student and before leaving the day job a couple of years ago, a colleague kindly gave me a lesson with MIG, but I really don’t feel competent.

Ironically, the more the car needs doing (so long as it generally stays on the road safely, and the work is manageable), the better – all the work will be documented as part of the learning process. At least, that’s how I justify the time and money this is going to take!

Thanks

C

ps Is this a suitable kit for getting under the car?
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...it-657230.html
Hi Chris,

I bet you wish you had not asked the question now! Not all of it will need doing, but there again you will find lots of other things that do as you delve into the car.

The need for welding bit worries me, if you haven't had a look at it yet the chances are you will find lots more rust under the tip of the iceberg. Welding tends to be expensive if you get someone else to do it.

The Halfords stuff looks okay - you will need the jack and the axle stands. You will find life much easier if you get some of these ramps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-2...Cclp%3A2334524

... get the type with the extensions, otherwise they will keep moving backwards when you try to drive up them.

Good fortune,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote