View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 11:14   #23
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I don't know your requirements as to buying and keeping the car. Have you established the full truth so far as reasonably possible as to the bodywork and the extent and cost of rust? Is this a saloon or estate? The estates are seriously prone to a little rust up under the rear bumper that actually goes deep in the car and does not usually show up on MOT. ALWAYS consider the body before spending much on the mechanics.

If you are sure enough re the body. Loki has summed up the position clearly and fully re the cambelt.

I could add a bit to his advice, from my less knowledgeable and little experience.

And if you do take the excellent opportunity to check the cooling system, I would at least check the hoses and thermostat, and change the pesky little heater hoses.

There are a host of other things. Start with the cheap things. Lubricate the belt adjusters, lubricate the bonnet hinges (they seize .... ), lubricate the exhaust manifold studs, lubricate the headlight securing nuts .... for those nuts, regular penetrating oil.

Start small would seem to be right for your main objective. Excellent introduction to car maintenance for your son. Maybe find out how interested he really is in your project. Don't spend too much before your son's interest is, tested.

And and and. Don't spend much until the body situation is really known, and until time has shown up any latent or hidden mechanical problems.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 16th, 2020 at 11:20.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: