View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 20:54   #104
john h
VOC Member

Update time:

The basic jobs are now done, so I can use the car for a while. I hope that will help get my enthusiasm back, because the work so far has been unlucky and troublesome, with every job taking far longer than it should. That means progress on my 164 has stopped dead, which added to my annoyance. But, if the 240 behaves itself for a while now, I'm sure all will be forgiven!

Cambelt, waterpump, thermostat and front oil seals have been replaced. I had to re-use the old tensioner because the new one (from Volvo) was faulty and did not fit. But the old tensioner is very smooth and quiet, so that should be fine.

The radiator was clogged externally with dirt, which I think will explain the temperature variations I was getting on the way home after collecting the car. I was pleased so see very clean coolant with no clogging at all inside the radiator, thermostat and drain plug.

Various work in progress shots:

Steve did a great job degreasing the engine bay.

The tailgate wiring [what a stupid design!] has been replaced - again mostly Steve's good work - so now everything electrical works.

The initial clean-up work, removing several years of dirt, shows the potential for this to become a very nice car.

This young man has been brilliant!

So, the 240 will earn its living for a while now, and I'll resume work on the 164RS project.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: