View Single Post
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 22:21   #6
lpg224kw

Default Some Progress plus more diagnostic querries

Thanks guys

I have made some progress having located a friendly dealer in 2nd hand volvo parts who suggested that I didn't buy one of his many injector pumps because (in agreement with Bernard) they very rarely fail. Also he sells them for £80 ( cf £1200 for a new one !!!) the fitting is straight forward and there is no need for ECU interfacing providing you correctly match the pump with the injectors. So this is a big relief and it looks like I should be able to find a cost effective solution... eventually

How do you test for air leaks.... can you tell by examining the filter contents? or how else?

The problem is intermittant and worse with heat in engine bay (pull into service station after 200 miles of Abahn sillyness, leave engine ticking over to keep turbo lubricated, after ~ 5 mins we set off and almost as soon as we get going the engine cut outs when the engine bay temp at a max) I think I have a failing sensor with the fuel pressure sensor or the fuel pressure control valve being favourite. It may also be a MAF sensor, Accelerator pedal position sensor or the ECM..... How sophisticated are the diagnostics, can they identify faulty sensors? What about the injectors, can they be diagnosed as faulty or is this only diagnosed by trial?

I'm starting to get into this. 48 hrs ago I was very despondant thanks to ignorance and a feeling of utter helplessness when faced with a hugh potential bill. Now I can see that most of the potential causes of this problem can be fixed by me with 2nd hand parts (probably) for a fraction of the cost I was originally faced with. My V70 D5 is finally old enough for me to consider DIY as the only cost effective way forward, and guess what I'm relishing the prospect

Ralph
lpg224kw is offline   Reply With Quote