View Single Post
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:41   #8
bigboz
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
I think fitting a tuning box is not fully Kosher in the EU updated MOT (Same with EGR deletes and using the wrong CAT). They will boot it in the emissions test after warm up and if it is fitted, it will fail even before the bonnet is lifted.
If you use a new MAP that increases the power beyond the Renault design spec of 130 hp, what you get is a Laguna 1.9TD and they have lots of expensive cooling and turbo issues.
Some Fleabay ones can cause the ECU to go into limp home mode, so most cheaper MAP's and boxes get binned by owners for causing more trouble than a K&N.

The two engines are almost the same BUT the exhaust system and MAP and electrics are slightly different.
I have had plenty of cars re-mapped and none of them ever failed on an emissions test. A proper re-map of any description be it "kosher"...by this is mean one that actually interfaces with the ECU, be it a piggy back ecu or direct software manipulation, or not, and not just a resistor that increases fueling, (usually known on ebay as a "chip tune") should have very little emissions differences.

The 2 Vag TDI's that i had remapped (both 1.9TD PDI 130's one star chipped to 170, the other some no mallet Bradford remapping place to 160) were both cleaner at the tail pipe than standard
Previous
Too many to list!
bigboz is offline   Reply With Quote