View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2022, 16:14   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
I bought my XC60 from a long standing car dealer and was told cam belt had just been changed. There was paperwork supporting this from an independent garage but the cambelt kit on the invoice is a Gates part no. Not sure if they did the water pump or not at the same time. Now I'm wondering if I need to check and maybe have the whole job done again!
I wouldn't sleep at night if that was me . sounds like a typical case of a independent garage throwing away a virtually everlasting waterpump and replacing it with one that will fail sooner or later. not to mention the cam and aux belts and tensioner . they would put on the cheapest they could find .
Not that the belt will fail particularly , but we have zero experience of how long it will last . With the volvo parts the quality is known and proved over several decades now . The quality of the non volvo water pumps is known now after quite a few failing in the last 5 years ..

The aux belt on the 5 cylinder diesel must be changed every 54000 miles too . ( but it's tensioner every 108000 with the cambelt )