View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2022, 11:25   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
At the risk of siding with Clan on this one and once again being branded the "usual suspects...."

Think of it like this (I've made the figures up but I don't think they're fanciful):

First cambelt change - risk of water pump failing before next cambelt change:

Retain original pump: 0.02%
Replace pump with genuine Volvo: 0.01%
Replace pump with quality aftermarket: 0.1%
Replace pump with cheap part : 1%+

Second cambelt change - risk of water pump failing before 3rd:

Retain original pump: 0.04%
Replace pump with genuine Volvo: 0.01%
Replace pump with quality aftermarket: 0.1%
Replace pump with cheap part : 1%+

I would say, if you are of the opinion that you want to reduce the risk of a pump failure, however small that maybe, the replace it - but only with a genuine one. This doesn't factor in the risk of "disturbance" - i.e. the new pump not fitted well and leaks from day 1 from the gasket line...

By quality aftermarket - I would say only 3-4 manufacturers fit this like SKF - not "First Line" etc. They key point is if you remove your genuine, factory pump and replace it with something that cost £25 on e-bay you are likely in the region if 50-100 times plus more likely for it to fail in the next cycle than if you left the original. I've thought about that carefully and I think it's fair to say it.
yes it very fair to air our thoughts and share our many decades of volvo experience with these newbies who are used to " ordinary" cars ... :-)

Another part is the old 850 cam belt tensioner , they were never ever changed and never failed either , if you take one apart you will see why ...

Volvo could have kept that going on the later engines rather than using cheaper ones as they did and getting the owner to pay for a new one every time the belt was changed .