View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:05   #35
BlueDevil

When changing cambelt last year I asked for a quote from official garage I go to, and when it came back it didn't have the water pump listed. I was pleased because I've read a lot about this Volvo pumps, their impeller (metal, not plastic like most of other cars have), and finally when I brought the car to them I asked - why no pump, on all my other cars it was always changed together - to which he replied "why, do you have any problems? Leaks? Because I'd be glad to replace it and take your money and your "old" pump and put it on another car, making everybody happy in the process: just tell me why you want it changed? Because Volvo said not to change it except if it makes problems"

That garage is family-owned, one of the first in my country, with long history and good reputation, and he inherited this business from his father, and is now in his 50s, and said also that he works there since he could hold a wrench, always was in the shop even as a kid, and he never ever saw a waterpump fail since they started using this model in early 90s.

I don't know, but I tend to believe him and all the write-ups I saw on the web about this very same thing. He could've taken my money, use my (used) pump for another car, and I would never know.

Oh yeah, he also said one other interesting thing: he said "Not all Bosch is Bosch. There are products labeled as "bosch", as "Bosch" and "BOSCH", and there IS a difference. They know they can't live only on best quality superior parts, they need cheaper parts too, so they label them differently - tolerances are much smaller on more premium parts and bigger on cheaper parts. Sure, not even the cheapest Bosch will be as bad as some no-name thing from e-bay, but surely there is a difference between "bosch" and "BOSCH".