View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2022, 21:16   #31
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
It's long established good engineering practice on any engine to replace the water pump at the same time as the cam belt. This is simply a pro-active preventative maintenance activity as most of the labour involved in a water pump change is needed as part of the belt and tensioners swap so the extra cost of doing it at the same time is virtually parts only.

Most cars will only have one maybe 2 belt changes in their lifetime so makes sense to not have to do a failed water pump out of step with belt changes.

Of course some engines have easier access to these jobs so the case for the preventative maintenance can differ to a degree depending on the car.

It's a matter of choice at the end of the day but as an Engineer I would say it's a big ask of a water pump's bearings/impeller and seal to go to the 2nd cambelt change interval (which I'm guessing could be 12 years or 180k miles) without failing.

Of course Volvo won't care about your water pump failing in between cam belt changes - why would they?
Interesting view.

If the *manufacturer* disagrees with a broad brush-stroke general statement on “good engineering practice”, I have to say I would be inclined to side with the manufacturer 🤷

You really think Volvo wouldn’t care about the publicity associated with a bunch of failures later on?

I plan to get a couple of quotes (main dealer and local respected indy) and then likely go with the indy - I suspect theirs will be a couple of hundred lower….I’ll let you know what they recommend!