View Single Post
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 17:40   #16
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
All this nonsense about aftermarket belts not fit for purpose is rubbish.
My main job was fitting timing belts to all makes of vehicles. I absolutely hated it but I got the dirty work. I fitted at least 1 timing belt everyday for cars sold and customers service. We fitted gates, conti, skf and dayco. Never had we 1 fail in anything and that includes water pumps, timing belts and fan belts.
These are all top quality brands.
If the genuine is close to these in price and easily sourced then fair enough.
But if these products were giving trouble I would have knew. The garage stood over all work. If it failed it was garages problem.
Just a few posts back someone is complaining of a faulty genuine tensioner.
If a fan belt fails it is usually down to faulty pulleys, tensioners or old age. Never have I seen a fan belt fail due to not being genuine.
I would rather have a new skf waterpump or any of those other brands than a genuine volvo one with 100,000 miles. As I stated above. I've yet to see a waterpump I fitted fail.
If your father is a mechanic he will also know this.
For all the people on here who says aftermarket timing kits are rubbish. How many actually fit aftermarket kits for a living and have seen repeated fails and I'm not talking about what some other cowboy fitted and you repaired. I've fitted thousands and i
can tell you now its rubbish.
Most fails of anything is due to poor workmanship.
Perhaps you could explain why so many aftermaket aux belts fail soon after fitting on an XC90, while genuine ones do not? Surely it cannot be the case that poor fitting workmanship only applies to pattern belts?

A search of this very forum shows the said - and expensive - reality of using aftermarket aux belts on this model.

There are certain items you can safely substitute if you get the correct spec, such as fluids, filters, bulbs, etc, but beyond that why take a chance? If you can't afford to maintain it properly then you'd be better off in a Fiesta.

The OP seems a wise sort and came her for sensible advice. If he was going to Fred in a Shed to buy a fistful of budget parts then I doubt he would have come here asking our advice in the first instance.

Spend cheap, spend twice. Or worse if that aux belt breaks...