View Single Post
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:43   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
All this nonsense about aftermarket belts not fit for purpose is rubbish.
My main job was fitting timing belts to all makes of vehicles. I absolutely hated it but I got the dirty work. I fitted at least 1 timing belt everyday for cars sold and customers service. We fitted gates, conti, skf and dayco. Never had we 1 fail in anything and that includes water pumps, timing belts and fan belts.
These are all top quality brands.
If the genuine is close to these in price and easily sourced then fair enough.
But if these products were giving trouble I would have knew. The garage stood over all work. If it failed it was garages problem.
Just a few posts back someone is complaining of a faulty genuine tensioner.
If a fan belt fails it is usually down to faulty pulleys, tensioners or old age. Never have I seen a fan belt fail due to not being genuine.
I would rather have a new skf waterpump or any of those other brands than a genuine volvo one with 100,000 miles. As I stated above. I've yet to see a waterpump I fitted fail.
If your father is a mechanic he will also know this.
For all the people on here who says aftermarket timing kits are rubbish. How many actually fit aftermarket kits for a living and have seen repeated fails and I'm not talking about what some other cowboy fitted and you repaired. I've fitted thousands and i
can tell you now its rubbish.
Most fails of anything is due to poor workmanship.
We've had this conversation so many times now... You and I have very different views on the topic of genuine parts, and it's just that - different view points. Mine is born out of experience gained over 20-30 years of which a few I've shared so I'm not going to change my view or not advise people based on it just because someone else doesn't share that view. You're entitled to your view too but what you're not entitled to do is put words in our mouths - we never said all non-genuine parts are all rubbish what I and a number of others are saying is that you have a higher chance or getting a job right first time and the replacement parts lasting longer if you fit genuine Volvo, which of course costs more but given the labour input into some of these jobs and consequences of failure (belts, tensioners, water pump) it's arguably cheaper to use genuine bits.

And I don't see how workmanship could cause a water pump, tensioner or other in 1/3 of the time.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 2nd, 2021 at 12:46.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: