Thread: General: - Tools
View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 21:01   #21
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yes... all of the above... drinking and bidding on e-bay etc.

I currently have i.r.o. 11 socket sets which are either older Draper (and one Toolstar) and Halfords. Also extra sets of torx, hex, security bit, and deep sockets, impact sockets, various extensions and wobble bars. I never struggle to find something for that awkward bolt...

With regard to the Draper socket set I've owned since I was 15, I found a "new old stock" one on e-bay about 5 years ago which I bought for ~ £120. It was pointless really as I'll never use it and it's not an ornament. I've been using the first one for longer than I will likely live (or be able to work on cars (or be allowed to own a car?)). I bought that at the time as I was working on a lot of old grass cutting machinery and needed Whitworth (WW) sizes (if you're 40 or under, Google it....)

At the time I wanted it because it was in a metal box and I'm sure that's why it's still in use....

....and I don't work as an engineer anymore, anything I do now is a hobby, for a friend or old customer.

I also once had a vintage Stanley Professional socket set that I was given which date back to the 1970's but I loaned it to a friend who had it stolen from his shed.
Grass cutting machinery . Ah , the Allen Oxford. What a beast.

Talking of age, that's why I ridded my two old Land Rovers. Do you remember trying not to strip threads?
No chance now chap, not strong enough!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: