Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Advice & Recommendation needed please
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:04   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90 Andy View Post
Hello, new member here so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have a 2010 XC90 D5, 223500 miles on her, full history etc but have a problem. I’m 99% certain it’s hydraulic lifters as it’s a ticking noise that rises and falls with the revs and is louder when the engine is warm, in addition to this we have a deep thumping noise which is massively apparent when the oil filler cap is removed. I’ve tried hydraulic lifter treatments from Wynns and Liqui-Moly but without success so have resigned myself to the fact I’ll have to get them replaced, however this seems easier said than done as I’ve now approached several local garages who won’t even quote for the job! So I guess my main question is, can anybody recommend a garage in the Alsager, Crewe, Congleton, Stoke area who a, will actually quote for the work and b, hopefully not require me to sell a kidney to pay for the repair 😳
Thanks in advance 😊👍🏻
Don't overlook the vacuum pump . If it is pumping hard trying to build up a vacuum it ejects the air it collects into the back of the pump and out into the camshaft area so will cause a chuff chuff noise !