Thread: V50 Electrics : - Disconnecting the Batteries
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace View Post
Slowly working through a string of issues on my V50 1.6D Drive (egr, dpf – the usual). I have VIDA but, annoyingly, about half the time it will not communicate with the ECM (another issue I need to look at).

I need to do some work on the climate control module and CEM, which needs the battery disconnected so as not to trigger the alarm.

Does disconnecting the main battery also disconnect the secondary battery, or does that have to be disconnected separately to completely cut power to the system?
And will disconnecting the battery for 10 or so minutes reset the ECM (clear the codes)?

Thanks
When using VIDA you must have a support power supply on the car battery to keep the voltage up to 14.8 volts or near. some battery chargers may have the capacity to do this, a lot of modern ones will not. Remember all the modules on the car will be drawing current and the headlamps .

No you don't need to do anything with the support battery , it is only engaged when the car is in STOP mode of the Start/Start system.

No , codes will not be erased when you disconnect the ECU . .