View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 02:01   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

Tips for the Netherlands

If you are sticking to main roads and motorways then your driving experience will be very similar to the UK (with the exception that the Dutch on the whole don't believe in leaving a safe brake distance between vehicles).

If you venture out onto rural roads and into built up areas then keep en eye out for yellow triangles (or the lack of yellow triangles) at junctions. If there is a yellow triangle either just before (on roads with faster speed limits) or just after / next to the junction then you have right of way. If there is no triangle then it is most likely that traffic from the right has right of way...

...I've heard many a comment from UK drivers visitng me full of stories of "and then the effing prick pulled right out in front of me"!

Keep an eye out for rows of white give way traingles painted on the road. These are used in addition to the yellow triangles to help make things clearer.

####

If you are not driving through France then I don't think you need to worry about carrying alcohol testers

####

If you break down the Dutch do expect you to mess about with setting up a warning triangle and I think people are happier if you then wander about wearing a day-glo vest but I don't think either are a legal requirement.

People will get upset about UK headlights with out adjusters but they won't freak out as much as they do in France.

####

Speeding fines and crossing solid white line fines in this country are way way more expensive than they are in the UK. If you get caught the rozzers are likely to make you pay at the roadside. If need be you will be marched to the nearest cashpoint. Best to carry a credit card - Mastercard is more widely used here than Visa. (American Express is more or less a thing of the past here). Debit cards used to work in either side of the channel but post brexit banking relations might be different - I don't know for sure.

If you travel at speeds in excess of 50 kph above the speed limit on motorways (and get caught) then they will take away your vehicle. In a built up area (say 50 kph) the rule is reduced to an excess of 30 kph.

Motorway speed limits here at the moment are a bit messed up. During "day time" hours the maximum speed limit is 100kph. After hours you can do 130kph (signs say when).
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Nov 25th, 2021 at 02:04.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post: