View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 18:39   #23
sthodgson

I do think the ship has sailed a little. I like quite a few “classic” cars and they are all becoming out of reach for a fun thing. To put it in context, I bought a lovey 1990 golf mk2 gti in 2007 for £1700. It wasn’t perfect but was totally original and had no major issues. Today? Probably 5k up. I sold it for about the same as I bought it for in 2009 due to expanding family. The thing is, it would have cost more than that in maintenance over the years so it’s probably fair enough, but it’s not as if it will be maintenance free from now on, as countless ads seem to state. So much to go wrong.

I nearly bought a nice Alfa GTV 5 years ago for under a grand - massive history, lots of work done, all the keys, all good. Someone beat me to it. Again, today it would be at least 3 or 4K.

I had a Skoda Rapid 136 1990 back in the day. Only about 17 left in existence and fetch quite good money. They were bargain basement when I bought it. Great car though - rwd, rear engine, very tail happy. The perfect family car, no?

Look at Volvo 200 series. Who would have thought???

Whether they actually sell for this I don’t know, but things have gone up.
Punting a grand on an old car is one thing, but when it gets into large numbers it gets a lot less appealing.

I think you can get lucky but it does take a vigilant sort that constantly monitors all possible outlets. I’m too busy for that at the moment.

If a nice 300 comes up I’ll be tempted, and would look forward going to an owners meet.
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sthodgson For This Useful Post: