View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 18:42   #18
Forrest
VOC Member

Partly inspired by this recent thread and partly because the hot weather had softened the Tiger Seal I’d used to secure the windscreen trim a few years ago I decided to take mine off and try again.

I think the root of my problem is the same as Roger described earlier. I’ve had a replacement screen and the bonding/sealant is a bit too thick so there isn’t quite room to push the trim fully home onto the clips. I think this might be because cheap windscreen replacements like I had don’t involve removing and replacing the original sealant; just adding some more caulk on top of it.

Anyway, I’ve tried Gorilla glue this time to hold the trim onto the clips and also bent the trim closer to the profile of the screen. Evostick lasted a few days, Tiger Seal lasted a few years. Maybe it will be third time lucky with the Gorilla glue.

For anyone interested in trying my “bodge” I only apply the adhesive to the tops of the plastic clips having cleaned them and the channel in the back of the trim strip with alcohol. I use a couple of large clamps through the open windows to hold the corners down and use masking tape to hold the rest of it in position. Then leave for 24 hours for the glue to cure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D093E4D8-40E2-4618-93D8-EC0AFE3C6A0B.jpg (137.5 KB, 27 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: