Thread: Dashcams
View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:01   #12
key76

I fitted my own front and rear. I didn't wire them into the wiring, just used USB to a an adapter in the rear cigarette lighter socket. All wires hidden behind trim (didn't have to remove any trim) apart from where they go into socket in rear, then you see the cables. Neat, non destructive, and easy to remove when I change cars (had same on my last car and just moved them over to Volvo when I got it).

Never had any issues whatsoever with any of the safety systems. Front camera is mounted to left of mirror, and rear is top centre of rear screen.

I still don't understand why manufacturers cannot offer the facility to use the 360 cameras as a dashcam.

My last Mercedes had 360 cameras and an SD card slot so would have been really easy for them to write the footage to the SD. They could even have included telemetry data such as if I was indicating, braking and other useful data for a claim. You'd also get full surround images.

I'd even happily pay extra for it as it would in theory be far superior to any after market install.

Most cars offer 360 now so why not go the next step and offer to use it as a dash cam.