Thread: 240 General: - Replacing Fuel filter
View Single Post
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:24   #13
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Excellent informative thread.

Unfortunately, due to lack of time, etc, I farmed mine out to a monkey at the local garage, who totally fooked the unions, both ends, and at the nearside end of the green line that traverses the bulkhead too!! (Yep, I know, don't ask me how he did it).

Moral of that is: if in doubt do it yourself - even if it is a pain in the rear for us amateurs!!!

Anyhow, someone asked about getting a fuel tight seal when you run out of muscle power.

A good tip before you start to put in your new fuel filter, to make certain you get a fuel-tight seal, is to wrap the threaded ends in PTFE tape.

A couple of points on using the tape though . . .

1. Make absolutely sure the threads are clean and dry.

2. Wrap the tape carefully across the full width of the thread, going in the opposite direction to which it is screwed in - which is probably obvious. Make sure to get it good and tight, and around 6 revolutions is plenty, half that would be adequate and make it easier to thread.

3. Proceed to thread up.

Another good tip is to get hold of a couple of flared nut spanners 15 and 17mm, a flexi head ratcheting one for the 15mm side is definitely worth investing in.
Or Crow's foot flared heads that slot onto your ratchet drive. I know they definitely come in 3/8 drive, maybe other sizes if that's your poison.

Hope that's all helpful.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 21:47. Reason: addition and typos
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T240 For This Useful Post: