View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 22:59   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
Thanks for the sounding guys. I called the seller on the phone number given. He sounds like he understands cars, absolutely volvo mad. He said he had blanked out the number plate because it was ebay and he thought people go through looking for number so they can ring other cars - his dad had a speeding ticket from a car using his reg number in Scotland so... could be reasonable. Apparently the reg is M269 YCE.

He had me put it into the web so he could talk us through the past advisories which was fair enough. I'll have a look when I see it. The two areas he flanneled me alot about was oil leak which he said was just spilt oil because he is of the opinion that oil changes are really good and when he got it the oil was like tar so he'd changed it repeatedly and overfilled it twice so it flew out of the breather pipes. Does that sound legit? The other thing he had issue with was the corrosion to the underside which he said the MOT guy just looked at it, poked the dirt on the underside and declared rusty. Like the oil thing he thinks that the caked on dirt/rust/crud is doing more to protect it and that if he took a wire brush to it isn't so good on the long term. Bit of an old school type.

His sob tale is his wife walked out on him leaving him with little kids to look after which is why he can't have his project anymore which makes sense. He thinks the MOT will require the rear tyres, plus the fee plus he'll need to fill it with petrol and find someone to look after the kids so 150 quid won't cover the cost to him of MOT but he thought it was a nice sweetner to add.

Also he seemed to be concerned - kept asking me if I was - that the MOT was about to run out.

He also thought his offer of delivering it was really generous as that would also cost petrol and time.

He went on for a bit about the ball joint movement in the front which he said was the drop links and that the MOT tester stuck a bar inside the joint and then swung his whole weight on it before declaring that. It doesn't sound like he thinks much of his MOT tester.

eternal optimist (nice name) - I have been looking at 940s but seems like a bit of a mixed bag. Some are insanely priced and I am suspicious of very low milage 30 yr old cars, barn finds or whatever sound good but how long standing to have a 60k only milage. Even this one at 100k seems a bit low. Then there are some very high milage 940s. I had a 2.0l 740 back in the 90's and it was slow. Maybe a 2.3 would be better. Really didn't want to do turbo as the XC70 gave me trouble and I couldn't service the turbo element myself.

I will go and have a look next week. What should I be looking at on the rear suspension? Just that all joints are tight? How can I tell?

What do you think about the laquer peeling, he recons I can just sand it smooth, add some paint and then polish it off, its mainly on the bonnet but then I'm thinking why didn't he do it. I guess woman issues could be a fair explaination, car issues are one thing but woman issues - I'm not going to even start there.
I think many many people have their car rung by number plates so as long as he has given you the plates that’s fine.

The £150 for MOt with tyres and such like seems entirely reasonable to me, especially if he will deliver it for that.

The oil leak and rust. Don’t know.. to be fair at that age and milage it’s what I would expect.

The paint work I would disagree is minor. The key word is ‘know what you are doing’. I don’t and any body work is expensive. That sai I would have thought you could get panels spreaders for £250-500 each?

I don’t know, none of it would concern me at that price.

regarding the 940 and 960. If I ever saw a 940 in good nick I would probably go for it. But the 940 is really not a 960 is it… no list V6 for a start. And that would kind of seem the whole point to me.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: