View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 19:54   #1
slender

Default Electronic Throttle Control Inspection - what a fiasco

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Volvo advising me that my 2001 S80 may be affected by recent throttle control issues and that I should contact my local dealer for software to be downloaded, the etm to be cleaned and, going from memory, the crankcase to be cleaned. I duly booked my car in to my local dealer and it went in today.

Having dropped it off nice and early, at 8am, I proceeded to ring the dealer at 1.30pm to see if it was ready. A polite lady informed me that it should be ready at 2,30pm but would definetly be ready at 3pm. That was perfect and I duly returned to the dealer at 3pm to collect it. The Service Receptionist went and got my car and brought it to the front of the dealership. I enquired if all was well with it and was assured that it was fine, no problems at all. Imagine my surprise when I put the key in the ignition and immediately an engine/emission warning notice appeared. I walked back and informed the Service Receptionist who apologised and took it away. A few minutes later it was returned to me with an explanation that cleaning fluid residue could have caused a rogue error code and that it had been cleaned and was now fine. Off I went again, and, guess what, the same message appeared again. Back I went to the Service Receptionist who took it away again. After about 20 mins I noticed the receptionist was back at his desk and on the phone. It was immediately apparent that he was discussing my car with Volvo UK. It transpires that my car that went in running perfectly well, was attended to exactly as Volvo UK stipulated, never got so much as an inch off the dealership before the warning message appeared, now needs a new electronic throttle module - the very fault it went in to rectify before it became a problem....and Volvo UK are so far refusing to take responsibility and pay the £600+ bill that now looms! Even the Service Receptionist, who has batted hard on my behalf, is rather surprised at this stance. Volvo UK have quizzed me through him as to how long I have owned the car (3 years), whether I had it from new (no) and apparently this is to create a goodwill payment case. I have since rung Volvo UK to discuss the issue with them and was told I would be rung be back. Four hours later and no return call.

I would be fascinated to hear if anybody else has met with any similar issues.
slender is offline   Reply With Quote