View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 06:20   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the dizzy is mounted on the back of the head, the timing is non-adjustable but make sure the nylon hose from the inlet manifold through the bulkhead to the EZK ignition ECU above the brake pedal is intact and the manifold stub is clean internally - will make a world of difference if that's loose and/or blocked and you remedy it!

Have a look at the timing belt and find out whether you have square or round teeth on it. Square teeth are 36k miles/3 years, round teeth are 4 years or 40k miles if memory serves - if in doubt err on the side of caution and renew at 36k miles but for the cost of a new belt, do it ASAP and you know it's been done - don't forget to retension it after 600 miles too!
Some distributors have two holes so they can't be adjusted and others have a slot one side so you can adjust them, they usually have a molded plastic insert in the slot that only allows you to bolt it in one position. However we all now what happens to heat cycled oil soaked plastic and it sounds like it has broken up and gone wandering on this one so it can be adjusted.

I'll double check my manuals for the belt interval as I don't ever remember seeing a different change interval for the different teeth. I know the Haynes manual just says 5 years or 48k miles.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote