View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 14:51   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
I am very confused by all this ULEZ lark! My V90 (1997) has 'co' outputs well below the required level according to my MOT certs, but it is still not compliant for travel in ULEZ. Surely it would be more efficient for TFL to get the Government to increase speeding fines to at least £1,000 to slow traffic down! Speeds are well above the limits in my area yet no one tries to prevent it. In my opinion the faster a vehicle goes the more exhaust comes out with or without carbon! I still can't discover if catalytic converters have been improved since the 90s. Now there is a challenge! Engineers could even design one to fit on gas boiler exhausts or is that too radical?
Half the trouble with traffic in London is it doesn't travel fast enough Derek! Because it spends so much time crawling, the engine is not in it's efficient "power band" and the clowns that have set the limits for the ULEZ have used test data (which we all know is flawed, VAGs "Dieselgate" is just one example) but the real problem is traffic needs to be kept moving.

Cats have improved since the 90s, it's not really practical to fit cats to gas boiler exhausts/flues for various reasons, not least of which is they tend to burn very cleanly anyway. Likewise for oil-fired heating boilers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: