Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 00:58   #1796
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on suspension design, and I think it is a fair point that the overall compromise (cornering ability vs ride comfort in particular) might not be a good one, but you can get a 240 to go round corners very well indeed (and a 7/900 with its wider track, better still).

A 240 is actually a pretty light car by modern standards - a Superb, for example, would be very considerably heavier. My 740 has a similar kerb weight to a modern Golf! The two main issues are the 240's narrow track (as correctly observed above ), and the live axle, the latter of which will always need a softer spring rate than an independent rear suspension to achieve the same ride comfort (owing to the much higher unsprung weight with the live axle), resulting in poorer body control. It's notable that the rear end of a 2/7/900 modified for better cornering ability is usually pretty crashy.

In other words, you can make a 240 go round corners very well indeed (certainly compared with a similarly-sized modern car), but the ride comfort will be disproportionately affected.

Having said all of that, there is a happy middle ground, given that the trend in modern car design (especially the German approach) is for very firm suspension. You could make a 2/7/900 feel considerably more 'modern' with a modest stiffening, which would greatly improve body control without ruining the ride. The trick is not to go too far; something which is very easily done. I agree that majoring on anti-roll bars over spring rates is a good approach (at least for a road car).

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: